Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever roll the rod sections on a finished two-hander to see where the`hard side' is? pretty interesting stuff,some have all the hard side up,other's down,then some have even reversed hard sides to load deeper down the blank,of course,on a couple rods,i'd like to reverse some sections :devil:

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Scary

Hammer

this is scary in that there is ONE best way to position guides on a rod and MANY manufacturers do a remarkably poor job of splining (some of them, who sell rods above $600, even-- don't spline).

Support the boutique makers who do this and go the extra mile in so many other areas.

If I call a maker and they can't tell me what line I should use on the rod, they ain't getting my business, either.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me clarify

i've had several rods purchased in pairs,or ended up with pairs,,so,i assume they did it on purpose,,,,you can also see the `tolerance'? on guide placement

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Wel...

Hammer---

It is probably not on purpose if the spline is in different places on the same rod model among different samples. That's simply shoddy quality standards, IMHO.

I don't believe that most of us are good enough casters for it to REALLY make a difference, but it is troubling to spend $xxx.xx on a rod and not have one of these really basic QC steps performed. Just irks me.

For another thing, think how often we cast our rods with the guides not 100% parallel to the casting plane...

On the other side, if the goal is repeatable results from a casting standpoint, unspined blanks are not a step in the right direction.

I'd love to hear Meiser or Burkheimer (or the ghost of ol' Mr. peak's) take on this.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
unrelated

Peter--

On an unrelated note... I was just looking at your site again. Just fabulous. I, too, love fishing streamers. Your designs and ideas are just wonderful.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
first off it's Spining not splining, splining is a method of joining two pieces of wood end to end..

second of all... in modern graphite rods the spine matters very very very little, there is not a caster in the world who can

1. tell how a rod is spined by casting
2. notice any performance dofference between a rod that is spined positive, negetive or not spined at all

thirdly parts should be spined to maximize the straighntess of the rod first and foremost regardless of where the spine occurs on the rod.. after that then the rod can be spined as per the manufacturers preference.. However if they were never spined no one would ever know the difference unless they checked by rolling it.. there is so very little difference intodays rods that it really does not matter but.... we do it anyway...

about lines.. there isn't a manufacturer in the world who is up on ever single line on ever single rod... expecting them to know how every line casts on every modle they make is completely unrealistic... However they should have lines that they recommend for their own rods... but understand in that that you are getting their preference and it may not be yours...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Boy this is an old question that when discussed amongst the group at rod building gatherings can sometimes turn into a finger pointing shouting match.

...And discussion will generally carry over into the lounge well after the last seminar !!!!!

Kinda fun stuff if you like that sort of thing.

We do the same in our shop as Rob's.....We spine mark all sections, and use them as an alignment benchmark for the guide plane.

....And mark spine on all blank sections sold to rod builders.

We have our recommendations, but how the builders align them is their preference.

Will an aligned spine and guide plane relationship offer a casting advantage to the angler, and maximize the rod's delivery potential ?

You bet.....Especially if the caster beleives it does, and feels good about it......};^)....!!!

It darn sure is'nt going to hurt anything.

.....And Hammer....

Definition of a "regressive taper": A sheet rock finisher with a hang over.

Definition of a "progressive taper": A sheet rock finisher on his way to getting regressive.

Meiz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts