Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to spend an afternoon around TouVelle park on the Rogue with my Spey rod. Need a few suggestions as to fly selection, lines and method of presenting. Looking for steelhead and maybe half-pounders. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Klem, easy stufff as several of the Board ..

live by/fish the area. Couple of answers to questions would be helpful. First what rod(s) did you intend to use? and when were you going to be in Medford (Tou Velle park is about 10-15 minutes drive north of the city)?

River is still low and clear so you can use a dry line 90% of the time. However, the water is now pretty darned cold and so the fish are bottom hugging. My recomendation is still a heavy dark fly on top, with a 30" trailer fly in size 10 or 12. This can be a Prince N, Hairs ear, small pink single salmon egg, etc.

If (the greater 'we') you have your timing down, may very well be able to ' hook up' with one or more Board members and get a local guide!

fae

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tou velle

Fred,
14' 9wt.Orvis rod w/ many tips. Would like to swing the fly(ies)
Should I look for 3 to 5 foot water with a noticable seam? I'm thinking the fish will be in the slower water. Have a friend who guides the Mighty Rogue, but regularly uses non-swing methods and I'm interested in Traditional Spey Casting (swing, step, cast,etc...) Leave Salem around 6:00am. should put us at TV @ 10ish. Fish for 3 to 4 hours--then to the salt mines. There is an outside chance the trip will be later next week. I will let you know what is up. Thanks Klem

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Klem, vis a vis Mr. Fish ..

I think you'll find the majority of them holding in faster/riffle water due to low water conditions. Exception to this would be deeper runs you'll find in some areas.

Given the riffle bit, sink tips or sinking leaders, will work fine in majority of the river. If you want to do a dry line, use at least a 12 foot leader down to 6-8 pound tippet and a wted fly(s) to get you down and keep you there.

If you want to fish the Tou Velle park area I'd recommend you park next to (cross the river to the boat launch side) and park by the (turn left just after! you pass the parking pay station) bridge. You can easily walk up stream and fish several hundered yards of beach ACROSS from upper TV park. Fish seem to be holding in water across from the park, not on the park side. You can fish from the island at UTV, but it makes for a hellishly long cast, and you don't stay in the holding water long enough to do you a lot of good.

Farther down in the parking lot (LTV-boat launch) you can walk down from the launch and fish Sewey through to bottom of high banks. Easy walk do both areas. If water is still at 900 cfs in the area you can actually wade clear across the river at the boat lanuch, or just above the first break, and walk (WALK VERY CAREFULLY!) down to the highbanks area. Given a choice of sides you can cover this area extreamly well from the bank across/below the B. Launch. Major problem with this is it's a bit of a hike, and you're limited to fishing this one long run ... but it's the prefered side by far, limitations or no.

Rod wise, the 14' 9wt with tips should be just fine.

fae

1 - 5 of 5 Posts