Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fishing The Rogue on Friday and Saturday North of Medford and was wondering if anyone could advise on what fly patterns I should use. I''m not really sure where to start fishing either, any current fishing reports from that area?

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"Easy" I live in Medford and fish the heck out of the Rogue

The "hot fly" right now is the 'Otis Bug' done up in "Black Pearl" chenille with black rubber legs. Have seen the fly with tunsten and brass coloured bead heads (Otis usually is a beadhead). Normally done on unweighted #4 and 6 hooks.

Strange thing about this version of the pattern is everyone's using red tieing thread. Go figure ... but it working like heck. Sat. am I hooked a couple; fellow right next to me using a two fly set up under a bubble float (spinning rod) hooked SIX!

Call me if you want to "hook up:"

office 734 2714
home 857 0700

Two other board members are in the immediate area:
Dave Kelly (Avid1) and Nate Bailey.
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Eric, up from "where?"

This will be the only weekend (that I know of any way) that I won't be here in Medford. Joan gets back from Europe on Thursday afternoon and I go down to pick her up (Windsor, Cal.) on Friday, back Sunday late.

Next trip?????

Fred

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The 'Otis Bug' couldn't be any simpler if it tried. :>)

All the basic fly is, is (Dear God, didn't a former Pres. have a line something like that??)

A number 4 or 6 2X hook, depending upon how big you want the finished product.

Tungsten or brass bead for a head.

Three sets of Black rubber legs: one done as 'biots' in back, second out the side at the shoulder and third tied forward as 'feelers.'

Body can be any colour chenille you want it to be. Most effective body colours to date are straight black, the sparkle black and green chenille and the "pearl black" that's been the hot one lately.

Most of us will use .015-.020 lead wire on the #4's to weight them and leave the #6 hooks 'a natural.'

If you're going to be here in October/early November also do some up in a 'sparkle purple' chin. There's a seperate run of late summer runs that hit the upper Rogue in October/early November that are far larger than the 'normal' summer runs we see. They've shown a tendency to like the purple coloured Otis bugs.

The fall kings also show a proclivity to jump on this fly very late in the day if done with white legs ... go figure?

fae

·
Registered
79 Posts
Otis bugs...

The Otis Bug, or Carpetbagger as it's also known:

TMC300, size 6 seems to be most popular.
I use black 8/0 thread
Brass or orange bead
Two layers of .030 lead
Rubber legs and tail, medium, black and/or white
New Age chenille, the hot color for a lot of us this year is Midnight Rainbow.

The fish I caught last week was on one of these with an orange butt, orange bead, white legs and black tail...

Here's a picture if it works, the flies on the left are all variants of this fly:

-Gus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts