Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the last of the bills in for transportation, food, lodging, porta potties, etc., and etc.

To simplify the accounting for the board:

Gross donations to the clinic: $3,000
Hard costs to put on the clinic: 1,365
Refund of Bill Kessler's donation. 250
---------------------------------------------------
Net donations: $1,385

(Bill could not attend at the last moment due to a genuine family situation so I'm returning his funds)

Now for your thoughts!

Here's my present thinking on distribution of the above funds; and I want your input before I cut the checks.

Rogue River Flyfishers: $260
Eugene, OR School Dist program $375
Cal-Trout Lk Merced rehab program $375
Cornell Univ. Extention program $375
------------------------------------------------------
Total donations: $1,385

Fred Evans

PS: Bill, I'll be posting your check to you tomorrow.
fe

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Distribution of funds

Will we (you) be specifying that these donations are to be used for any particular (kid type) programs?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, good question.

I've spoken to each and everyone (including today) to drive in the point that the $ are to be used for youth fishing (said we'd prefer fly fishing, but this was not a requirement) programs, proof that they're 503c's (tax id #) and that they have a reasonable amount of latitude on how to best use the $. Keeping within the bounds of what you fellows require. I've also given them enough latitude to ear-mark the $, with a bit of a broad brush, so they can be specific or 'inventive.'

As we're likely to do additional 'charity clinics' the point was (and I can be a 'not nice guy;' too many years in Sr. Mgmt) made not to twiddle the $ away. We will also require an accounting of the programs your donations funded. All had no problem with this idea.

(Don't kill the Golden Goose?)

fe

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With no "votes" to the contrary:

I'll get the cashiers checks cut tomorrow.
:D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Fred,
Thanks for the note. I've been gone for a week or so. I think your idea of contributions to promote youth fly fishing is outstanding and it looks like you have some worthy recipients. I know the Community Fly Fishers (Cornell Extension) will put the funds to good use. And I really was sorry that I wasn't able to attend, but Mother's doing well. And tomorrow, we finally get to head to Oregon to see Ella. She was 10 months old last Monday.
Best,
Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very glad to hear Mom's doing well!!! And as to your

timing will you be in the Portland area during Spey clave?

fe

·
Registered
913 Posts
timing will you be in the Portland area during Spey clave?

Unfortunately, I'll be chasing tarpon in the Keys (sympathy???) during the clave. We head home from Portland on the 8th. I certainly hope that the dates don't conflict next year. I really enjoyed the first clave and it's also a great excuse to head West to visit family.

Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cover letter enclosed with net payout checks.

Key Bank®
Fred A. Evans Community Mortgage Lending 2 East Main Street Medford, Oregon 97501 Office: 541-734-2714 Fax: 541-734-3822 Cell: 541-944-0404

4-26-2002

California Trout, Inc
(Lake Merced Project)
870 Market Street Ste. 1185
San Francisco, CA

Rogue Flyfishers, Inc
P O Box 4637
Medford, OR

Cornell Cooperative Extension of Thompkins County
Youth Fly Fishing Education
615 Willow Ave.
Ithaca, New York

Eugene Education Fund-Youth Fishing Program
P O BOX 1015
Eugene, OR

Gentlemen,

The attendees of the Fly Fishing Forum Board who donated funds to the Spey Casting Charity Clinic have chosen your organizations as recipients of the net funding from this event. All other funds received were used cover the ‘hard costs’ of bring our instructors to our area (they did not charge for their instructor services), paying their actual expenses for air fare, lodging, auto rental, funds actually expended for food for the group and a very minor amount for miscellaneous expenses.

The only ‘restriction’ the group places on the acceptance of the funds is they are to be used with your youth fishing activities programs. Beyond that, you have reasonable latitude to use the funds wisely in your outstanding program(s). That said, the group would appreciate a written acknowledgement on the specifics of how you will use the funds enclosed. As the Fly Fishing Forum Board will, in all likelihood, continue with this type of project I’d recommend you respond.

Very truly yours,

Frederick Evans
KeyBank, NA
[email protected]

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Well Done Fred

Just goes to show what can be done with a background in business managment. Not to mention the good time had by all. And a tax write off to boot? How much of the $250 is the IRS subsidizing? Warms my little pea pickin' heart.:hehe:

JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably all of it, or darn close to it.

That's why I had all the checks you folks give me made out to "Spey Casting Charity Clinic." If I remember IRS regs if you have a donation of over $250 or $300 your susposed to include a copy of the check with your return.

All funds were deposited into a National Bank account under the name above for tracking purposes, all bills paid from the acct via cashier's checks and all net proceeds sent (again via cashier's check drawn on the Clinic account) to 503c groups. The checks to the folks above actually referrence their IRS tax exempt number. The cover letter explains the who/what of the donation, etc.

Is it likely that IRS would question how we've handled the above; highly unlikely given the amount of money involved and the paper trail I, and the bank, have on file.

fe

·
JD
3,609 Posts
IRS

So If I read you right, you are saying that we can claim ther whole $250 as a donation? Warms my little pea pickin' heart, clear to the core! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not an IRS guy/gal but unless you've

got a lot of stuff that IRS wants to talk to you about, this will not be the 'thing' that gets them interested in you. You have a cancelled check, they want 'proof' of where the money went, etc., you've got the board info and I've got the bank records. All open info and (at least the board part) "public domain."

"Mother borned no fools in Canada.":devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts