Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've spent a lot of time in the valley in my lifetime but always chasing bass... A few days ago I moved to eagle point and trying to figure out the runs here. It seems like everyone has a different idea of when things are good, I've read that late October is the time for half pounders but haven't heard a thing about them. A few days ago Mr. Evans posted that we are currently in between runs but I went out for an hour tonight and hooked 3 fish landing one beautiful wild hen. I guess I'm just wondering if it's dumb luck I found fish today or if now is the time for summer runs as I would expect. What times of year are we usually fishing on the upper river for the different runs? Thanks guys!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I caught them in the town of GP last week so I'd imagine they are from rogue river up to the dam. they are always at the dam. if you want to float a day, let me know.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Hey guys,

Just 7 more days until we land in Portland, we'll be down on the river on Friday the 7th :)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
River flow looks good but the rain is POUNDING DOWN.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=14339000

Out front door to have a smoke, neighbors cat was curled up on the mat. "OK, in you go, we'll sort this out later this morning." A minute to 0000 and Mr. Cat-Cat, is curled up on the couch, will have to put that discussion off to later. :roll:

Edit: Rain(s) have really pulled the fish up into the upper river. Go to a bit of heavier leader; you'll probably need it.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
We will be catching fish well in to November. The "peak" of the fall run is usually last week of Oct - mid Nov.

JMHO

Hooked 7 landed 4 combo of spey and nymph yesterday. The fish are definitely still on...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ard, here's a map you want to get.

http://www.theanglingbookstore.com/streamtime-fishingaccessandaccommodationsmaprogueriver.aspx

Map of the Rogue takes you from very top to bottom (and I do mean even the trout water above the Lake). Dated it may be but its dead on right down to the 1/10th mile. Flooding is very unusual on the Rogue (I can only think of one in the 15 some years that I've been here .. and it was a doozie!) so very little change in river topography.

Fun to follow along and 'You're here.'

Fred

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Man why did I have to find a job in Nevada?:mad:

I want to live where you guys are so I can be near some good fish and people!

Anyone there need a good sales rep?

KC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well depending where you are in Nevada ...

Man why did I have to find a job in Nevada?:mad:

I want to live where you guys are so I can be near some good fish and people!

Anyone there need a good sales rep?

KC
If memory serves there are direct flights into Medford. Assuming a south'ish wind (normal) your 'approach' will take you right over Tou Velle Park(s). Out of the airport parking lot, turn north and in about 5 minutes you will be putting on your waders.

That 'swish' sound is the tip of your spey rod as the line goes out over the water. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome stuff guys! I'm glad to hear it wasn't a fluke and I can get back out to find some fish!
Oh, also what's with all the bobbers? Everywhere on this river that I've seen is a swing paradise, and they proved to me they will smash classic flies!!:D

Fred, thanks for all the links. Was a crazy storm, I had a 3 year old little boy wrapped around my head most of the night, I'm pretty sure we had a strike on our property. lost power and all.

Matt, I'd love to! We can work out the details.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

Just 7 more days until we land in Portland, we'll be down on the river on Friday the 7th :)
You're gonna love this place Ard! Everyone says to fish small size 4 and 6 stuff but I've caught most of my SUMMER fish on the NU on sz 1/0 and last night on the rogue with a sz 1. All Dee flies and I even stuck one on your favorite Dee pattern, you know the one!

·
Registered
909 Posts
We will be catching fish well in to November. The "peak" of the fall run is usually last week of Oct - mid Nov.

JMHO

Hooked 7 landed 4 combo of spey and nymph yesterday. The fish are definitely still on...
I second this, but I have had some fantastic days in December and Janurary also. Yesterday there were still ghost chromers at the hatchery out flow. If you check, the huntley park counts were still holding strong on the 17th as well. I love this time of year as the river is real peaceful. Here is a picture of a hatchery buck from yesterday....I was sure this was a wild fish until i got it in the net--we had to follow it down river through a couple of riffles, and it took flight several times!:Eyecrazy: this was this fellows first taste of steel---he is hooked. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204056949277638&set=o.189640727863516&type=1

·
Registered
909 Posts
You're gonna love this place Ard! Everyone says to fish small size 4 and 6 stuff but I've caught most of my SUMMER fish on the NU on sz 1/0 and last night on the rogue with a sz 1. All Dee flies and I even stuck one on your favorite Dee pattern, you know the one!
I fish the Big Stuff also

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Tomorrow's another day.

Soil along the river is now saturated, as the water looked like my childhood Ovaltine from the runoff! I felt nutty as a squirrel turd fishing it, but since I was all suited up, I figured "what the hey".

As predicted, no slime.

Oddly enough, I wasn't alone. Several others were as anxious as I!!

should be good tomorrow.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Soil along the river is now saturated, as the water looked like my childhood Ovaltine from the runoff! I felt nutty as a squirrel turd fishing it, but since I was all suited up, I figured "what the hey".

As predicted, no slime.

Oddly enough, I wasn't alone. Several others were as anxious as I!!

should be good tomorrow.
Go to the top on blown days.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Thanks for the map and weather links Fred :)

Josh,

My old clip box is jammed with the J. O. 'Dee

1 - 20 of 21 Posts