Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about these? I'm interested in getting one but am wondering about likes/dislikes, etc. Probably interested in the jet version but as of right now all options are on the table.
I'm also interested if there are any used boats out there that you guys may know of for sale. I'm not sure that a brand spanking new one is going to fit the budget.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also have been looking at these and the Fish-Rite Power Drifter, if anyone has either of these boats let me know about how they handle.
Thanks Lance

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Apparently 'not much;' clips from the ifish web board.

"Re: Rogue Marine Stealth?
I know a guy who has one that bought it with the same thoughts in mind that you have. Tell ya what, its waaaay under powered, it rows like a tank ( from the front no less.. goofy as a football batt ) In the end its not much of a sled and the worst drift boat I have ever seen. He does use it on lakes a bit and its a little better than a drift boat with a motor for that."

"Re: Rogue Marine Stealth?
I've just looked at them at their website and boat shows. I think the biggest problem is how to keep the front down if you were by yourself and using the motor. If you pay attention to the boats orientation at their website, you'll probably notice that. I doubt it would ever row/manuever like my Willie since the rowing seat is all of the way at the front. The plus side of the light weight is that it would be a breeze to unstick. The negative is that it wouldn't take too much impact. For rowing just a bit, I think a lightweight sled would be better mainly because it would do much better with a load and by yourself. Using it by myself would be the main reason I'd buy one so I could avoid having a turn around.

Of course, the cost would go way up because the hull and motor would be quite a bit more expensive. Any way, those are my thoughts for whatever they are worth. "

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
everythings a tradeoff

i MAY know who Fred is talking about;) ,,i see them around on the river,but it IS more of a motor boat than a drifter,,,i wouldn't want to ride thru some of the riffles in one:Eyecrazy: ,,,myself i recomend a rogue STYLE drifter,,like a Hyde,`paralell chines/ flat bottom,,,,that's classic old school Rogue hull design right there,,they motor as good as a drifter can witch is STILL minimal going up riffles,2 design theorys on drifter hulls=Mackenzie and Rogue,,,myself i want a flatbottom center console sled,,they fly upriver,lots of open room and the center console witch the guys on the Columbia think is `gay':rolleyes: will keep you in if you peg a rock and you can lean against it off of it etc. plus if you shop around you can find one for 4500(or less),not as slick as a `windshield' boat but if you arent going 8 miles one way,,,, well,you get what i'm saying,last time i fished out of a flatbottom it took the wind out of my sails as far as motoring my drifter=i'd still be waddling up the riffle doing the shing-a-ling' and the boog-a-loo'(that's slang for sawing at the tiller and shaking your hiney to get up the riffle),,a 50-80 horse outboard sled flies upriver!;)

i'm NOT badmouthing the Rogue Stealth i believe it does what it does witch is everything,i know i don't see any guides using one

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Seth, I'm not sure if it's still for sale, but there was one sitting by the naked lady hole this past summer.
Dustin

G

·
I also have been looking at these and the Fish-Rite Power Drifter, if anyone has either of these boats let me know about how they handle.
Thanks Lance
I drive my buddies Fish-Rite Power drifter all the time, he has the 60 horse Yamaha 4 stroke jet on it and it matches with that boat very nicely. What I have noticed about the handling of this boat is that they tend to slide on the turn and handle quite different than other styles of sleds. That being said once you get used to the handling they are very nice and will run in VERY shallow water. The thing runs in like 3 inches of water! I am hoping to have one just like it in the next couple of years...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Stealth 16' jet 20

I am new to this forum and I hope to learn alot from the users.

I have owned a Stealth for awhile and can say that it is an excellent boat for it's intended purpose. It is a little slugish as a drifter but very manageable. It's great to be able to run back upstream! I use a gps DF and typically can run 18-20 mph when alone with my gear. It's absolutely a dream to fish tidewater in strong current. It tracks really well and the small jet can troll down nicely. It slays chinook! I have owned a few larger sleds and love the ease of use and manuverability. It will carry weight well but the small jet will not plane with more than two in the boat. I have had the best catches in this boat hands down and I have washed alot of line!

16' Stealth
48" bottom width
Merc Jet20 Electric Start

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
wow!

recieved an e-mail this morning(last post),funny thing is after this was discussed i saw one out on the river and it looked like it motored on upriver fine and dandy!

but i had no idea they are`only' 48 inch wide bottoms,,,everybody seems to act like a drifter with a 48 inch bottom just isn't any good:confused:

i have MY drifter on eBay right now in fact and it's an old school style drifter with a `48' inch bottom and i'l tell you this;fishing in a crowded run if another boat fires up to run up and make another pass(this is when I fire up and follow),i always SEEM to be able to go faster/easier and have to back off the gas(while they plow a wake:chuckle: ),,,

could it be the narrower bottom motors better?(with a given amount of power,remember a `jet' loses some power in the conversion from prop)

to suffice seeing the man in his stealth i thought it worked well:confused:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
They are great boats, buy one Seth. I'll buy the Highland Park to go with it. As well as the counter weight for the bow (me).

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are great boats, buy one Seth. I'll buy the Highland Park to go with it. As well as the counter weight for the bow (me).

You noticed the original date of the post right?

Make it the 18yr Highland Park next time you act as my counter weight. And don't spill it all over the bow...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imo

I've always thought that the Fish Rite Power Drifter with a 60/40 Jet would be a good boat choice for drifting and running the Cowlitz between Blue Creek and the I-5 bridge or similar stretches of our larger NW rivers.
With the Fish Rite (as apposed to the Rogue Stealth), at least the rowing seat is in the right location and facing the right direction.

However, as far as the rivers in my area are concerned (Lewis, Kalama, Sandy, Klickitat), it isn't a fit, because they are either too small to run with a jet and/or require more manuaverabilty (i.e. a rocker) to drift. Furthermore, I doubt it could handle the rapids on the lower Deschutes (powering upstream or drifting down thru). And while it might do fine on the Columbia for salmon fishing, I wouldn't need the drift/row feature.

Bottom line, I find these boats cool in concept, but a bad fit for my needs. They are a compromise design which makes them less of either a jet boat or a drifter.

Ya' think that's why I don't see any around here?:chuckle:

Troutangler

·
Registered
1 Posts
columbia river stealth boat

My friends and I first saw this boat in fall of 2001 at Portco, in Vancouver, Wa, at the old Keiser shipyards. I was about to snap a few photos of her when a technician told me he would smash my camera into a gazillion pieces if I were to take photos of her.
We asked if we could get a closer view. They allowed us to within 8 feet of her. This boat was the most unusual and impressive boat I had ever laid eyes upon. The cockpit looked like a cross between the cockpit of a fighter jet and a submarine. The rear deck wasnt complete as it is now, the deck was flat from the rear of the cockpit. She is powered by two Caterpillar diesel engines, when the operator fired her up, I nearly got wood. It submerged and disappeared for 10-15 minutes. She reappeared and the operator parked her without a hitch, right where she started.
I have seen the finished product recently, and I prefer the look of her the way we saw it in 2001. Even though she looks bad-ass as she is now.
At the time we first viewed her in 2001, I thought to myself, what a great river boat to run river viewing trips with or as a limosine boat.

peace to all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.