Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A next fall mixer, Roganish..... tried something new for me to mix the wing. Whole slips of peacock, red & yellow goose, GP, and a roof of capercaillie. One stack for each side, brushed out then laid against each other. Next time I will use a bit less as the wing came out a bit fuller than I wanted.
Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
not bad at all. good job. try and keep the wing edge more even and id say a tad longer wouldnt hurt. are you using right side of the feather for near side wing? good fly

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
minor hook issue

Lovely fly, etc. but if I were to fish that fly, I would mash down the barb, at least a little. Probably an old Mustad. I have found that such high barbs cut down on penetration, making it easier for a fish to toss the fly. Or - use 12# Maxima and strike like a gear guy. Of course, it would be best to do the mashing before tying such a fine fly - in case of disaster.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Very Nice little tie, has Fall-time all over it, but anytime really. Never tied the mixed-wings, on purpose at least, but I like what you guys are putting up.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
John.......very nice mixed wing .....the colors all over wing..that mean you did great job on mixed wing !!!
Hook and feathers great combination....nice played !!!

Jin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VERSION 2... already had the body built, so thinned down the different wing slips, reversed the sides (thanks Kevin- I had forgotten about that with Rogan style winging). For me, much better wing shape and balance to this one than the original. Hook on the first and this one are made from piano wire, barbed, and jappaned with RobP's formula by me.
Barbs will definitely get smashed before these even hit the water, but in the hook making I am barbing every iron that I make for the practice and developing my shaping skills for the barb and spear. Good times.
Thanks.

John

PS. Thanks Jin.... everything that you've been posting has been an inspiration to working on this style of wing!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
John, it's great to see your work! Both in steel and feathers! I've finally started bending that wire and have put your hook in the vise and taken it back out several times, it's too nice for my abilities right now!

These are just awesome! Very fishy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great Looking flies John. Your hooks are looking awesome. The japan works great as a high gloss head varnish too. RobP.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
They are both excellent ties, John. Like any other winging options, mixed wings merit the same experimentation.

dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts