Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to condense all these (and future) patterns to one thread that I’ll update. Today’s pattern was the Golden Olive. A bit different from the previous underwing structure. I used the other Jay feather that I found while mowing, a bit long in length but it is what it is at this point.

Artificial fly Bait Fishing bait Arthropod Natural material

Hand Pollinator Butterfly Insect Arthropod

Insect Arthropod Amber Wood Gold

The previous patterns
Natural material Bait Electric blue Magenta Fishing bait

Insect Arthropod Pest Wing Pollinator

Insect Arthropod Artificial fly Pest Landscape

Liquid Pest Feather Electric blue Invertebrate

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I accidentally skipped the black hawthorn but here is today’s effort. The Jock Scott. I’ve never tied one before. I tried to adhere to the original description with 1/3 yellow 2/3 black silk on the body. I reduced the number of fibers in the wing to 1-2 per slip since there is a lot going on with this on a size 2.
Insect Arthropod Plant Beetle Pollinator

Insect Arthropod Pest Beetle Parasite

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Silver doctor. I’ve tried twice to tie off the ostrich butt and basically start the body in the same wrap. I must be clipping the end too short because this is the 2nd one I’ve had unravel that I’ve noticed after mounting the wing. I’m tying all of these twice so more notes for the 2nd time around.
Water Insect Arthropod Sky Pest

Insect Liquid Arthropod Feather Invertebrate

·
Registered
852 Posts
Beauty Steve!
Those are so, so tricky... and so frustrating when things unravel or let go..... This set of yours is amazing.

Just a thought, but maybe run the herl end forward under a smooth thread underbody to lock it down... then go back smoothly again as you tie in the tinsel, floss etc for the body? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beauty Steve!
Those are so, so tricky... and so frustrating when things unravel or let go..... This set of yours is amazing.

Just a thought, but maybe run the herl end forward under a smooth thread underbody to lock it down... then go back smoothly again as you tie in the tinsel, floss etc for the body? 🤷‍♂️
That’s what I had done in the past but was trying to keep things simple. I think you’re right and that’s what needs to be done from now on.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess there is lots of different ways to approach a problem/challenge.... Each seems to have advantages and disadvantages...

I am a huge fan of your work...
You’re definitely correct, especially if that’s how you’re wrapping butts. I’ve been looking at your photos and trying to learn from you!

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
She's a looker :)

After wrapping the herl, I lay two wraps of thread, then lay the herl flat against the shank and place 3-4 wide wraps of thread, which lays out about 1/3 down the body.
Wet my index finger and brush back the herl butt fibers. I then bring back my thread to the base of the herl (eye loop end of the butt) and place 2-3 thread wraps, one in front of the other. This gives a nice back taper to the butt and locks in the butt to never unravel as I tie in body materials and ribbing. No guarantees though, but that's what I do :)

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts