Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’d be curious about experiences you’ve had when you’ve revisited some of those sweethearts from your past. Is it possible you wouldn’t like them now as much as you did then? Would you find that you appreciate them more now? I have a lot more years of history paddling kayaks, and have had a few classics over the years that just were never really improved upon with subsequent generations. At least they weren’t “improved” by my standards anyway. That said, the few times I’ve been able to get in one of those older model classics that once worked so fantastically well for me haven’t exactly been as sweet as my nostalgia for them. I can honestly say in at least one case I’ve gone from “love it!” to “can’t believe I ever liked this hunk o junk”...

I’m wondering if some of you may have had interesting experiences going back to cherished equipment after years of using newer stuff?
The Sage 6126, I absolutely had to have one and when I got one I was like ok, what now. I’m still trying to find a floating line that I like. It casts a skagit like a champ so it’s my go to summer tips rod but that was not it’s intended use when I got it.

Burkheimer 7134, again had to have it. I just don’t love it. It’s wonderful to cast and I fish it all year but there’s no WOW factor in it for me. I won’t sell it because I don’t know what I would replace it with, so don’t ask. 😂

Mike

·
Unregistered member
248 Posts
Easy choice for me. I don't sell many rods (call me a hoarder but I figure eventually they'll all have their place) but after moving away from the large lower Lake MI tribs to the Minneapolis area I sold my Death Star because I don't have big water for steelhead anymore. I remember exactly who bought it, he's an active member here, but frankly I want it back. I took my first swung steelie with it so it's got some sentiment attached to it.

I also sold the reel that I'd had on it, a Big Game 4, but while I really missed having a reel of that caliber around it's the rod I miss the most.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Easy ..........the beloved Scott ARC 1287
The ARC 1287 was my first two hander...purchased brand new when it came out. I still have my original rod, and I bought a second one as a back up. I sold the second one to a member here with no regrets.

The ARC 1196 was a different story. Again, I bought one when they were introduced. I could never get it lined to my liking (my lack of knowledge played a key role here) so I sold it. Regret set in almost immediately and, as penance, I have since bought two more replacements including one NOS from a dealer that has never been cast.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"Seller's Remorse" is the reason I almost never sell stuff! The downside is I am a pack rat/hoarder who is always wishing for more space to put stuff. I also get anxiety over which rod to fish on a given day, with too many to choose from. Although I have to admit, I have been finding every opportunity to fish the rod I most recently acquired, a classic Winston 13'3" BIIX 7/8! I was gifted this beauty by a good friend a couple weeks ago (thanks Tony!). I think if I ever sold this rod, I would regret it! Tony purchased some newer generation rods last year so he was paring down his collection, somehow feeling like he just had too many rods. Somehow, I just don't relate to those kinds of feelings...

Todd
Todd, you are fortunate in acquiring a true gem in the B2Xb 13' 3" 7/8. Arguably the best rod ever made....whatever you do, never ever part with it! (and if you do, please call me first!)

Cheers!
Tim

·
Registered
102 Posts
My wife regrets I will not sell any of my old gear. I just can not do it. No matter how unlikely I may find a use one day, is my thought process.

·
Undertaker
1,306 Posts
Or how about the rods they simply don't make anymore? My basement is full of old rods because I prefer slower actions and because the costs were closer to $100 than $1000. Like Todd, I never sell, but I have broken a few (mostly while trying to land fish - I am a klutz). The most disappointing broken or lost rods are a Fisher 10' for 5 wt I mostly short-line nymphed with (a friend fell on it), and a Lamiglas Infinity LSI 11' for 7-8 that was the most fun short spey I have ever used.

Rich

·
Administrator
17,805 Posts
The most disappointing broken or lost rods are a Fisher 10' for 5 wt I mostly short-line nymphed with (a friend fell on it)

Rich
Rich, I loved the action of my old Fisher 10' 8wt :smokin:
It was one of my first steelhead rods. Unfortunately, it was stolen during a move :(:(

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Every Beulah I've sold or traded off and a Hardy Zenith 8 1/2 5wt

The next thread should be rods I should have or missed out on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
had a 13" Winston 7/8wt, can't remember the series, maybe the Vapor? Bought it as a blank and built a custom rod as my first longer spey rod, loved that thing, not sure why i ever let it go

21 - 40 of 51 Posts