Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling over my rod collection the last couple months and as I look back at the rods I've owned there are a few I regret selling and one I actually sold and then bought again a year or so later. The list of rods i've owned is long and varied but I will always have a soft spot for the T&T 1509, Sage 7141 and the ACR 1336 but it was the Burki 9135-4 that I just couldn't get out of my head, so I picked up another one this year.

So, I'm asking what rods have you regretted selling and if you have re-acquired them after not being able to get over seller remorse.

Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hence the question, Lines are the other one, My list of lines that I wish I still had is a mile long. At least they're a little cheaper to replace. LOL

·
Registered
345 Posts
A sage one 8136. Great rod which I should have kept. Lamson ARX 4+ reel which I ended up buying again as it’s such a great reel

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nobody will ever regret selling me their Lamson Vanquishes...

I regret one 6wt Meiser Highlasnder S, but it had someone else's name on it and I decided to go purely custom and personal on my Meisers. It was an excellent rod though.

I sort of regret just about every rod I ever sold, the LOOP colors, the Zpey, LTS, SAGE, Chromers, Orvis and a few no-name brands that were actually quite good, a 5wt Helios 2 switch.... Because, there was always something that attracted to that piece of kit in the first place. Why else did you acquire it? Plus, there were the memories of using that rod while you did.
There are very few BAD rods anymore, so most are selling because they need cash or too many in one segment of the quiver.

I Don't regret selling any skagit headz :p

·
Administrator
17,805 Posts
Like some others, I sold rods and reels to fund new purchases ...

With regrets, I've had a few ... (que Frank Sinatra):

- 14ft 9/10 St.Croix Imperial
- 13'4" 6/7 CND Solstice
- 11'9" 7wt Loop LTS
- 9' 5wt Partridge of Redditch bamboo

The above two-handers have all been replaced happily by Meiser rods .... but I still miss them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've been mulling over my rod collection the last couple months and as I look back at the rods I've owned there are a few I regret selling and one I actually sold and then bought again a year or so later. The list of rods i've owned is long and varied but I will always have a soft spot for the T&T 1509, Sage 7141 and the ACR 1336 but it was the Burki 9135-4 that I just couldn't get out of my head, so I picked up another one this year.

So, I'm asking what rods have you regretted selling and if you have re-acquired them after not being able to get over seller remorse.

Mike
I had that same ACR 1336 3 piece,powerhouse of a rod. My regrets are ACR 1255 and TFO deer creek 4/5

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
"Seller's Remorse" is the reason I almost never sell stuff! The downside is I am a pack rat/hoarder who is always wishing for more space to put stuff. I also get anxiety over which rod to fish on a given day, with too many to choose from. Although I have to admit, I have been finding every opportunity to fish the rod I most recently acquired, a classic Winston 13'3" BIIX 7/8! I was gifted this beauty by a good friend a couple weeks ago (thanks Tony!). I think if I ever sold this rod, I would regret it! Tony purchased some newer generation rods last year so he was paring down his collection, somehow feeling like he just had too many rods. Somehow, I just don't relate to those kinds of feelings...

Todd

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rods I let go

Meiser MKS 12646-4, it absolutely threw lines like a cannon, replaced it with other Meiser's, but that rod was something, & a Helios 2 5 weight 10' single hand, for me it was great all round trout single hand rod. I traded up so no regrets that way....tough to find another, other than a new H3, but $$.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here’s a few I miss. Always on the look for them.

Kispoix dredger 12’6” 5/6
Pro4x 11’6” 8wt
Burkie 11’7” 7wt
Sage one 11’6” 7wt
GLX dredger 12’9” 6/7

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've sold a few since the mid 80s, abut the only one I regret is a Sage RPL 10 ft 8wt, 3 piece.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’d be curious about experiences you’ve had when you’ve revisited some of those sweethearts from your past. Is it possible you wouldn’t like them now as much as you did then? Would you find that you appreciate them more now? I have a lot more years of history paddling kayaks, and have had a few classics over the years that just were never really improved upon with subsequent generations. At least they weren’t “improved” by my standards anyway. That said, the few times I’ve been able to get in one of those older model classics that once worked so fantastically well for me haven’t exactly been as sweet as my nostalgia for them. I can honestly say in at least one case I’ve gone from “love it!” to “can’t believe I ever liked this hunk o junk”...

I’m wondering if some of you may have had interesting experiences going back to cherished equipment after years of using newer stuff?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I’m wondering if some of you may have had interesting experiences going back to cherished equipment after years of using newer stuff?
When I was in college, I worked in an Orvis shop about the time first generation graphite came out. They had a model called The Trout, which at the time was the most powerful 6 wt sh rod I'd ever cast. I was paying for school, so couldn't indulge the way I wanted, and I left the job without ever getting the rod.

Jump ahead 30+ years, and my friend Bob White is selling one. I swore i'd grab one if it ever come available, and I did.

8 ft of wet noodle. That's not really true, it's a nice, gentle stick with a 5 wt line, but not the thunderstick I'd recalled. I do think I will try it with an SA Scandi light though. Could be sweet.

I've had a bunch of wonderful 2h sticks, and have thinned them down to A James Reid Steelheader's Favorite, and two Meiser MK's, with no regrets. Not a one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
regrets

selling my burkheimer 8139-3 and 7115-4 ans a spare 7125-3 could always use two of those

1 - 20 of 51 Posts