Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is their any rods in the 400 dollar range like : cnd custom , R.B. meiser 3 pc series , gloomis kispiox, and lamiglas cst series all in the 13 foot 8/9 weight line. are they better in action then the tfo 12 ' 6" 8 weight or are they just better componets? reason is i know i want a better rod but is the action tweeked a little better meaning more foregiveing faster and so on ? reason is i just hate to spend the money on a rod and then wanting some thing better the next day. because i know if the action is to fast then i may not be able to cast it and enjoy it. for the reason i am thinking this is i do a lot of single handed fly rod fishing.this is why i want to move in to some thing i can enjoy. like spey fishing here in michigan on the big manistee.

thanks again and tight lines and screaming drags btrout1013......... :confused:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The short answer is yes, the $400.00 rods are better than the $250.00 TFO. However, how much better is really a function of your ability to get the most out of the rod. And as far as which rod you should get, you really need to get to cast several different rod in the line wts and length you are considering getting. Then make your choice on the basis of which one you liked best.

A good starting point for how fast or slow a 2-hander you will be happy with is the type of single-hand rods you like and use. If you like slow single-hand rods, look at the slower 2-handers. If you like fast single-hand rods, look at the faster 2-handers.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
why not go wild!

and buy a pile of rods!,that's what i did,i'm not saying that's `the best way' but i will tell you it's a steep learning curve and one that get's you where you desire to be,and quick! ;) ,then you can relax and enjoy the ride,just sell your wife's car, :hihi: ,well,that's not what i did,i sold a `streetrod project' and went hogwild,,yes,i miss the project but not what i've aquired since i did that,i'd be less happy if i hadn't done what i did,,,way less :D

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
8/9 kispiox

I've owned 4 Spey rods in the 400 range and I sould say by far my favorite is the 8/9 kispiox. I will grab that rod before I will use my 7/8 GLX dredger which cost twice as much. The 8/9 kispiox is a solid Great lakes steelhead rod. fwiw most of the time I am throwing a rio Skagit 450 or a 550 with 10 feet of t14.

later
Rambo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the info

i do value those thought's . is their any difference between the higher priced 600-700-800 dollar rods compared to the 400 range? the reason is i am very impressed with these rods some have "good actions" but not sure yet. along with great qualty componets. this is why it makes it so hard. funny thing is some rod companys will do this. they will down size their good rods to a lesser value. so in other words that fast action 4 pc is now a 2 pc med-fast from the past they have the same action.funny thing is i bought a $545 single handed powell and two years later they came out with the advantage series which is about the same action @$116. this is why in rods i watch what i buy. :whoa:

thanks and screaming drags to all btrout1013........

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
your custom builder can

build to any degree of trim you'd prefer,what little bit of help i was to a local builder led to me learning several things=one=some people WANT to spend more,they want the german silver and such and are willing to pay for the upgrades,cork for instance must have 5 grades,the highest grade the man had was approximately 2.45 per ring his cost, so,that's going to add up fairly quick right there on a two-hander and he had many many boxes he'd invested in,then what kind of guarantee/warenty are you after? i remember one site in u.k. where the rod man flat stated;`if you want a lifetime guarranty add 300 pounds and we'll keep some blanks in stock for you' :hihi:,,i'm thinking about selling another couple old cars off myself since i've found it much easier to keep rods, even long ones :) shiny and clean than cars:smokin:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would heartily disagree with the blanket statement that $ 400 rods have, " Better actions," than $ 250. rods. To me, this looks like another example of recommending the spending of more money on gear to improve casting skills. If you can't execute beautiful casts with a $ 250 TFO spey rod, I would recommend spending your extra money on lessons, and some time on practice.

Jay Horton
Pro Staff, TFO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts