Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a rod to learn underhand casting. Would appreciate opinions on what setups those more experienced are using. Thanks. Mark

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Loop

Hi Mark!

When it comes to underhand casting, Loop will always be a top choice. Loop's rod designer Goran Andersson is widely considered to be the originator of the underhand style and is the best known proponent of the method. He designs rods and line systems specifically for underhand casting (although the progressive action makes them excellent for other two hand styles, too).

My limited experience in the Lakes and my discussions with many Lakes anglers suggest that rods in 7, 8 or 9 weights and lengths of 12 - 14ft would be your best choice, depending on target species and size of river. As an all-round rod I would suggest either the 8124 (12ft 4in 8 weight) or 9132 (13ft 2in 9 weight) in a rod series that matches your preferred rod action (medium through fast action). I use the Yellows (medium) and Blues (medium-fast) most often.

Right now in my newsletter I am in the middle of a 3 part series on underhand casting.

If you'd like any more info on Loop please PM or email me!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Scierra Henrik Mortensen Series Rods

I obtained two of the Mortensen series Scierra rods in February ...one is 11'8' for 7/8 and the other is 12'4 for 8/9...Mortensen is a highly regarded Scandnavian underhand caster so these rods were designed for that approach. I thought I would pass along my experieinces wit h the rods , for your consumption and comment. I do not limit myselfto underhand casting , but use spey casting and overhand as well as underhand as the conditons dicatat e. I tried different lines on the rods, including the @ 24 foot floating/3 foot transparent heads that were suggested by the company. I concluded for dry fly /waking fly work in BC, I would be better served with the Rio midspey lines on the longer rod, which I have fished more extensively than the shorter one. I have a windcutter too, but like feel of the midspey. I also tried some of my homemade, cut and splice lines, but the midspey worked best. The thing I found about these rods is that you can have the advantages of spey casting when you are in a situation where backcasts are an issue, but you have the flexibility to underhand or overhead cast when the backcast area opens up behind you. The long er rod was in my hands for a week straight in BC recently and it performed wonderfully for me, fishing dry line exclusively. the rod feels small enough to "feel" the fish when you hook-up as well. I put a Redington al 9/10 on the rods. Those reels performed well , handling a nice group of fish flawlessly. The finish on the rods is very nice and all of the components appear to be first rate. I have no affiliation wit h Mortensen or Scierra.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Göran Andersson was Mortensen´s teacher. Mortensen was working for Loop before he changed to Scierra.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts