Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a portal today.
It hooked me up with 2 books by the auther Roderick Haig-Brown.
The seasons of a fisherman ,and A river never sleeps...
It is said in his book .A passion for steelhead.Dec Hogan...
Everyone should be required to read any of his works before entering our rivers.
Thanks Dec,
I have'nt had the pleasure to meet you ,but ive met many others through you.
kevin

·
Registered
442 Posts
What Portal?

Can you tell me where you found these books by Roderick Haig-Brown? My library has many out of print books available for download, but I could not find any by him.

Thanks!

Mark

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Try SOLIS

Can you tell me where you found these books by Roderick Haig-Brown? My library has many out of print books available for download, but I could not find any by him.

Thanks!

Mark
http://www.solis.lib.or.us/Search/default.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.1
Search by author=Roderick Haig-Brown. You will find every book they have in the system. Not to worry if what you want is not in a library near you. They will have it sent to your nearest library, and notify you when it gets there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx
thats what I did and found like 23 books, and they send it to a library closest to you.
also found and am having sent ,russell chathams ::: DARK WATERS
yeah:chuckle:
gotta love the library ,got to read Dec Hogans :A Passion for Steelhead ,
great book.
moe

Reactions: KilgoreT

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought 'A River Never Sleeps' by Roderick Haig Brown 35 years ago in London, England. Little did I know after re-reading it for the 5th or 6th time that it would bring me to Vancouver Island 12 years ago to fish the Campbell. the river, on the banks of which, was his home. I now run a fly shop in BC.

It is simply one of the greatest books about fishing ever written. No one, in my humble opinion, communicates his love of fly fishing in rivers better. It is a book that one can re-visit time and time again and enjoy more each time. So rare to be able to do that.

The 4 seasons books are also a great read and mirror his fly fishing passion equally. Read them all as I have and you will be richer for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
A River Never Sleeps

Everyone should read this book. It is a classic as it really does explain why we fish and it's not all about catching.
A few years ago we stayed at his house on the Island and fished The Campbell River . We had a tour of the house and viewed his library and fly tying desk. His pipe was still in its tray.
He lived in Dorset for the early part of his life and his father attended the Dorchester Grammar School with Thomas Hardy. I spent a decade or so in the area when I taught at the same school.
Colin

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Anything by Roderick Haig Brown is top notch, A River Never Sleeps may be his best work. The four volume set Fisherman's Seasons has become a rare find now days. To Know a River is a compilation of the "Seasons" put together by his daughter after his passing. Sometimes you can luck out & find some of this stuff in libraries. Staying at his house & fishing that river,,,,priceless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts