Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m looking for a bomb proof rod tube for airplane transportation. It should fit minimum 3 3-piece rods in diameter and a 14' 3-piece in length.
I´ve heard about the KIS rod carrier. It´s big enough and it is availible in europe as well. Has anybody experiences with it? Are there different models?
What are the alternatives?
Stefan

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Stefan,

I just made a trip south for some saltwater fly fishing. with me I took a homemade PVC rod tube that worked very well. I cut and glued PVC water pipe to the right size, attached a handle . . . total cost $15.

N I

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stefan
Like North Island, I've made my tubes out of PVC pipe that have survived many trips. I've also attached a shoulder strap that makes carrying it easier. But I've also traveled with anglers who have the KIS carriers and they are good products.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another PVC recommendation

Just got back from a trip abroad and used a homemade PVC tube to carry four rods. Works fine and doesn't cost much. I bought some foam cushioning to pad the ends of the tube, plus used some nylon webbing to create a handle. Total cost of tube, end caps, foam, and nylon webbing was about $15. Can't beat that. Note that the tube is likely to be opened and inspected by airport security, however, so be sure you rig it so that at least one end is easily opened and reclosed.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Rod transport via airlines

Stefan,
The KIS [Keep It Safe] is made in England, and comes in two sizes. The smaller [a rectangular shape of approximately 5-inches by 5-1/2-inches] of the two will safely and easily carry 7 three-piece spey rods, a one-piece wading staff and two single-hand rods, plus items to fill the space left vacant by the shorter length of the single hand rods. The larger has the same crosss-section and is longer to handle one-piece rods. The KIS is sold in the US (www.meltontackle.com) for approx $115 USD.

The KIS case will carry plenty of rods [and wading staffs] for two anglers.

Flambeau makes a "Bazuka" rod case that looks very strong to me, is four-inches in diameter, therefore carrying less than the KIS, but seems satisfactory for almost all uses. Cost is less than $40 USD at amazon.com and others.

My experience with the KIS case for the last three years proves it does its intended job well. Inspection of the Bazuka case at my local fly shop convinces me it is plenty rugged for the abuses of airline travel.

BP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stefan,
As a TSA Security Screener in the baggage area, I can offer a little advice:

Assume your case will be opened and the contents removed.

Regardless of the case you choose/make, be sure that it has more capacity than you need. You're going to take great care in stowing your rods, but don't fit them together so tightly/intricately that the screener will be required to assemble your puzzle... he simply doesn't have time to do so.

If your case is roomy enough (that capacity thing again), pad/wrap your rods with cloth (wash towels, t-shirts, underwear, whatever).

If your case locks, either stay with it when it is screened so that you can unlock it (you have the right to do this) and make sure it is locked after being screened ( the Screener must do this for you... you can't touch the bag after screening).

In lieu of a lock I use a sturdy tie-wrap and also tape several to my case and draw an arrow to the lock hasp. The Screener will appreciate the fact that she/he doesn't have to root around the station for a tie-wrap and will have a friendly attitude towards your thoughtfully packaged rods :cool:

FWIW, I use a "Rod Safe" made in the good ol' U S of A by B&L Sport Products. It's the "Zoom Lock model 1-396, 3" diameter, 53" - 96" length. It's not too pricey and works great.

Have a nice trip,
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Harding and Son's located in Glide Oregon (On the N. Umpqua) will make just about any size lockable pvc tube covered in cordura at a very reasonable price. I can provide there phone #if needed, just drop me a pm John

·
Registered
24 Posts
I still have one of the bazooka tubes I got in the early 70s. It's seen a lot of miles, in the air and bouncing in the back of a truck. I always taped the thing when I flew with it. I was always afraid some loading monkey might telescope it down and break a rod, if I didn't. A few years ago I got one of Cabela's bags that you drop up to 6 rod tubes in. Of corse my favorite rod is now a 2pc 10' which doesn't exactly fit the bag made for 56"ers:eyecrazy: nor will my 3pc,15' spey.
Having said all that; Dollar for dollar, (and then some) custom make your own from schedule 40 PVC and dare them to try and break it!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
KIS Case

The two pieces of the KIS case are match drilled to adjust for any length rod section. I use the [supplied byb KIS] key opened padlock to lock through the hole that defines the minimum length of the case. If security opens your case and slams it shut, the padlock will stop at a safe distance from the pieces inside.

Also supplied is a large pin for securing the case. Because the pin is not a lock, airport security can easily remove the pin, examine contents, slam the case closed against the positive stop of the pad lock and reinsert the pin.

I have used the above method for three years without problem. Another precaution I take is to mark each cloth rod sock with my name, the rod model number, number of pieces and serial number. I presume you know travel experts suggest placing a copy of your plane ticket and itinerary inside each piece of checked luggage.

I like buggywhip's idea of taping very stury tie-wraps to the outside of the case. That will be handy if the pin is lost during inspection. Use very sturdy tie wraps for this job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts