Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wrenched the ball off of the lower handle of my 9140. I think water was getting in there and the cork weakened. The blank is fine but the cork broke fairly cleanly at the notch that the rubber ball fits over.
I could send it back and use my 7136 but the fishing is good right now and my local rivers are either high or cloudy so I need my sinktips. I'm looking for a temporary fix. Anyone have an idea about what kind of glue or epoxy I could use that will hold but will come off later when the rod is repaired? I tried Pliobond but that didn't work at all.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Contact Nate Bailey a fellow board member.

I did the same thing with my Scott ARC. He did a wonderful job of fixing it for me; far better than the original. I won't attempt to tell you how he did 'it' but replaced it with a wood ball.

Very cool! I'll send him an e mail to chase this site down asap
:D

·
Registered
909 Posts
I realy dont know why rod builders do that. lets glue a knob on the end and expect it to stay there............I take a old piece of blank and make a shaft thats about 2" long then slide it up in the end with lots of glue it, you would break the rod, before breaking off the knob. Mt favorite fix is to add some fine hard wood knob, looks classy...........Nate

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Eugene
You DID mention a clean break,so I would epoxy (5 minute ,in caseyou wanted to "adjust" later) the ball on,clean with Alcohol,and push "upwards"onto the ball while taping into place.Finally sand down ,and fill with a light GOOD wood filler,any imperfections and ENJOY the rod.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I think I'll eventually do something like what Nate suggested, but for now I'll just epoxy it and see if it holds up until I go to my lighter rod. I didn't use epoxy first because I wasn't sure if the epoxy would affect the blank.
MEH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts