Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a 6126-4 Z-AXIS and a Danielsson Evotec LW 6/9reel used at a reasonable price. What do you think of the combination? Positives / Negatives? Any input would be welcome. This would be my first spey gear ever. Mostly going to fish the the American and Lower Sacramento here in California.

Thanks!

Adrian

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I would grab it. I think you will be quite pleased.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
My LW 6-9 takes 120 yards of 20 lb Yellow Dacron ( Scientific Anglers white 20 lb backing is marginally thinner so it will occupy 15% or so less space) , 100 y of # 25 Ariflo running line + 360 gr SA Skagit or Airflo 40 + wt.9 ( SH) shooting head ( spec: 375 [email protected]')

Using 100 yards of 20 lb backing you should fit Delta 6/7 or Rio WC 6/7/8.
For this rod the above backing is more then enough. I doubt you need # 30.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
so, the danielsson should be able to fit the different line types the rod can handle?
What type of line do you have in mind?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking I'd like to use a floating line about half the time and tips the other half. If I can't get down to the shad and maybe some summer steelhead comfortably, then maybe I need to re-think the 6wt versus the 5wt Z-axis. And, save up for a second rod - maybe a 7wt?

Thanks for all of the help guys. Learning something here!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have the 6126 (not the z-axis) and this is a great light to medium steelhead rod that should serve your needs in your location. This rod is my go-to rod when throwing tips on the Klamath.

It will easily throw fast sink tips and large flies with a skagit 400 or 450 grain line. The skagit line can easily be used with a floating tip but as has been posted , you should be able to fit one of the mid-belly lines if you prefer a longer line as a floater. Due to shoulder and elbow problems I have gone almost exclusively to the short skagit systems for all my fishing - tips and floaters and do not miss the long lines much (though a little!!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts