Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hi everyone. I've been lurking awhile and thought I'd finally post. I own a Sage 15' 10 wt traditional action (Rio Windcutter 10/11/12 w/ upgrade and Hardy Ultralite Disc Salmon), and I find I can not cast it worth spit. I was wondering if switching to a faster stick might help work the bugs out. I took a casting class up in Whitehorse with Brian Niska a few years back, so I have a pretty good handle on the techniques. My taste in single-handers is on the fast side, and was wondering if this is the direction I should go for the two-hander as well. I'm looking at an 8 wt., not really concerned about chucking tips, as I prefer the floater. Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
465 Posts
I doubt switching to a faster stick will help your casting. You probably have a glitch in your technique that is causing you problems... changinging rods wouldn't change your technique.

I also don't know how well that line matches with the 10150-4 rod. It seems as though it may be a bit heavy but I don't know for sure. I've had good luck with a DT10F on that rod.

As for smaller faster sticks, you might consider the 7141-4 Sage. I really do like that stick... a lot!

It's nice to see a Yukoner on board. I recall there was a small flyshop in Whitehorse when I went through there last. I'd imagine it's the only one in the whole YT!

Good luck
pescaphile

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pescaphile. Good to see a SE AK resident! Do you work for ADF&G? I work with and know a few people in the Douglas office.

Yeah, my technique is definitely off, but I think the line may be the big contributer to my problems. This was the same rod I took my lesson with and bought based on that. No troubles then. I think maybe my reel might be too light as well, leading to an unbalanced rig.

Yep, just the one shop back home. We've had a few, but always one at a time!

I'm looking at the Loop Green 12'4" 8/9 as my next rod, as the aforementioned shop is thinking of getting on as a dealer. I'll definitely ask about line selection here before I drop the bucks.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have that rod as well and it casts the Midspey 9/10 or 10/11 really well (tried both). I formerly used a 9/10 Windcutter on it and it also matched it pretty nicely with tips (I used it as a winter rod).

I've heard from very good sources that the 7141 is really an 8-9, although I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

There are a lot of damn good rods on the market and more coming as well, we in the Spey community are very fortunate!

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
I have the same rod but, with an airflow delta spey 10/11. I thuoght I had the same prob untill S.B.M. grabed it and it casted beautiful, I just needed someone to sit back and find my problems. ie; not enough power in the forward stroke......dropping the rod tip on the finish of the foward stroke....and not pausing long enough to form the D loop. The equip. is usually the first to blame!......good luck...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also use a Mastery 10/11 spey on the 10150-4. This line really performs well on this rod as a floater or chopped with tips. Problem is it is prone to cracking prematurely :( I've a new grandspey 9/10 coming and am looking forward to using it on this rod.

I do know several folks with ADF&G and work with them occasionally. Am currently working on a watershed restoration project that they are involved in, but my fav is snorkeling the streams for steelhead surveys! :smokin:

Juro - you can add me to your sources who think the 7141 is more of an 8/9 weight rod, but you might want to strike the adjectives you used with the word source in my case.

pescaphile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts