Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved from the San Francisco Bay area to the Stockholm area. My collection of fly fishing gear was based on striped bass fishing in the bay, and rods for use down in Baja and other salt water destinations.

Now I want to learn to fish the local waters, and am happy to move to the world of spey. Since I fished heads almost exclusively with the single handed rods, the underhand cast sounds perfect for me.

While I realise that one rod never does it all, I no longer have an American-type salary -- actually I'm a student so have no salary at all -- and would like to get one good outfit then add to it at a later stage. I have a couple of Tibor salt water reels which will likely do fine, and have always liked Loop reels, althoguh the ones I have are to small for a spey line).

I do have an old Sage 9140 which I bought off a friend years ago for use on the N Umpqua (but never fished as I did just fine with a single handed rod and didnät really have a line for it) so thought that I'd look at getting a Sage 7141. Before I do though I'd like to ask the opinion of the board as to what they'd do.

I want to fish the Mörrum, and other rivers here in Sweden. I will likely also fish the coastal waters around where I live (Dalarö) in the spring for seatrout.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Guy

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Guy,

Which 9140 do you have - the 3 or 4 piece? If it is the 9140-3 you are in business - you may even find the locals enviously eying your rod. The 4 piece is too soft for my liking and would not be a good match for the shooting head type lines popular in Scandinavia. The 3 piece on the other hand, is one of the all time great "all-round" rods ever made!

If you are interested in the "when in Rome" adage, then you will have plenty of help locally setting up the Scandinavian line systems - like the Loop Adapted lines. Maybe Per Stadigh will notice this thread and pipe in with some suggestions, both in tackle and where to go for info and gear locally. In fact, he is a member of the board - so Private Message him and ask - he is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I have the 4-piece.

I bought it back when I thought traditional Spey would be the way to learn.

thanks for the post.

-- Guy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello Guy!

You might want to learn that there is sceduled a huge flyfishing show in Stockholm in the end of this month. Even I being a Norwegian have heard about it...

Check out http://www.flyfishingfair.com/

I am sure you will meet many of the really great swedish spey/underhand casters!!! They might argue about terminology but they really know how to make those lines fly out there!

For the Seatrout fishing in the "ocean" (the Baltic sea is actually brackish water, where you can get both pike and cod), most people stick to their onehanders in AFTM 6 - 8, and use the same type of rods as you developed for North American saltwater flyfishing.

Good luck

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Well if the rod does not fit the line, you could also fit a line to the rod! The 9140-4 although soft for underhand/head casting has been one of the classic spey rods for general use with traditional spey casting styles, so if you decided not to go with the head systems you would still fish well and with luck catch lots of fish with another line. I would think a mid-spey or windcutter with tips would give you an easy solution to get started fishing this spring.

I will defer to others with recent experience lining this rod for details.

I own the 7136-4 which is a similar soft / lighter version and the 7/8 midspey really loads it very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norwegian,

How wonderful, a flyfishing fair in town. I'll definitely be there.

thanks for the lead.

Juro,

Yes, I don't regret buying the rod, and should get a line for it.

-- Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guyp,
for the rod you mention I think the Rio Windcutter Speyline works great.
I use one on mine, (a 9-10-11), and I am satisfied with it.
A seven weight rod is in my opinion way too light for the Morrum.
Once you meet the monsters in that river you will see what I mean.
You are most likely to get in touch with fish over 10 kilos in weight, in a mighty current. So: think before you buy.
Also remember: in the Netherlands Sage is a lot cheaper than in Scandinavia...

Best, Dutch, Hans.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
guyp,

I think you e-mailed me some time ago, but I never responded as I have not been playing with a really "full deck of cards" (if I ever did...:chuckle: ?) since the car crash I just went through.

As any steelheader is an automatic friend I suggest you phone me on 0709 689 679. Maybe we can sort a lunch or a afterwork beer out.

"Tight lines"

Per

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great offer

Per,

Thanks for the offer. One I'll certainly take you up on.

regards
Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
My knowledge of Swedish geography is pretty sketchy, so this may be too far out of your area. However, if you travel close to the Morrum River (in the southeast emptying into the Baltic)-- in Svangsta, I believe, you will find the Abu Garcia factory outlet, close to the Abu factory. When I was there about six years ago, they had some great spey rods and wonderful deals on large arbor reels. I only wish I had taken advantage of the prices at the time.

It probably wouldn't be worth a trip alone, but if you're in the area, it might pay to stop in. Prices are usually below wholesale for the Abu stuff and other tackle the company distributes.

Also, the Laxhus museum at the mouth of the Morrum (I think it's in Karlshamn) is worthy of visiting as well. While visiting there, I saw my first spey casters at work. It was a real experience--

Good luck,

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. Last June I was in the area visitiing a friend who is a keen golfer. We played golf a lot, but it was only after I left there that I discovered that I should have been thinking of fishing.

regards
Guy

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
The Mörrum's web-link is:

http://www.morrum.com/english/english.html

Check the photofiles out - lots of 40-50 pound Atlantics.

This fishing is owned by the Swedish state and is readily available at realistic prices. It can be very crowded at times - nevertheless it is one of the few remaining places where good numbers of serioulsy big fish are caught on an ongoing basis. One needs to apply beforehand to get permits.

Per

1 - 12 of 12 Posts