Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm looking for recommendations for rod/line for a beginning spey chucker? What rod/line set up do you recommend and what features make it ideal for a beginner.

I'm fishing rivers in SW BC, Vedder, Harrison, Chehalis, Thompson etc. Salmon and steelhead.

Thanks

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
There are a many really great rod/line combos out there for a new spey caster. With the right line almost any of the current spey rods can become very workable combos. I believe the place to start is your budget. In my view it does no good to discuss tackle you can't afford. After that then maybe the action you prefer in a single hander. There are most likely some shops close to you that have demo tackle. Discuss you wants with them and try out some different actions.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
VFN.
I am fairly new to this as well and have fished the vedder,, although only for a few days. For the purpose of sponsorship, i will not mention the shop but the guy's name is fred and he owns the shop :razz: and is fairly close to the Vedder river,,, You probably know the shop i am talking about. . You can find some great tackle there but i would not suggest the "Iron Feather" rod that may still be for sale there. I have not read very many favorable reports about these two-handers. I would post here for a "combo" that will fit your expectations.
I will be out there in a few weeks and will be fishing the vedder for 4-5 days and will gladly let you try any of my gear if you wish to get out for a day.
Best of luck.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Vfn

Get ahold of Dana and/or Kush in your general area for lessons. Between them they have a speyshop full of lines and rods that you can try out as a part of lessons. The lessons will prevent a lot of frustration trying to learn it on your own.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I TOTALLY agree with Ted...get in touch with Dana and/or Kush and spend the time and money on casting lessons FIRST. When you're able to properly apply the basics you'll know what feel you like and what size of rod/line fits your application. Trust me, if I would have spent a few bucks, or perhaps even a $1000, on lessons when I first got into this sport, I'd be $5,000 ahead and twice the caster that I am today.
Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I am targeting Steelhead and Chum/Springs for the moment. Down the road I might go after coho too. I'm not looking to go cheap. Maybe a mid range rod - $500 or so. I already have a reel and a rio mid spey (though if the line doesn't match the rod I'll change up).

I had a brief lesson with Dan McRimmon. Fabulous...I plan to sign up for a full day lesson as soon as I've settled out an outfit.

I look forward to further input.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm new to this game also (2nd season)and yesterday I attended my first clave in NY. I don't think my opinion may be worth noting, but I am in the market for a new rod, since my current setup with my LW 8/12 does not balance well with my 14 ft GL3. From the rods I saw at the clave, I really like the T&T 1309, but the price was up there. 750 I think. My second choice was a Winston Biix, same price range and my 3rd choice which was the least expensive of the bunch was the Scott LS2 at 500 bux. All fitted in the 8/9 wt range. Good luck on your search, as for me, I'm looking for some more change underneath the sofa cushions. :)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Since you said you were going to ge using the rod for steelhead, chum, and springs, you need at least a 9 wt and a 10 wt would not be too much because of the springs. And since you mentioned using it on the Thompson among others, a rod of 15' or longer would serve you better to cast a bit further and control the line once out there.

Since you want to spend around $500.00 for the rod you have several choices. Site sponors Scott, CND, Loomis and Carron come to mind with some excellent rods in that price. For a little bit more, Meiser's excellent rods also come to mind.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Site sponsor Snowbee also has a couple of fine rods in that price range that would work for what you want to do - the XS-P 14ft. 9/10 and the XS-P 15ft. 10/11. See the rave rod review on the 15ft. 10/11, done earlier this year for the Spey Pages by Dana and Sean.

Site sponsor the Red Shed Fly Shop carries these rods (Poppy calls them "the poor man's T&T," and I agree), and has demo rods for tryout. Give him a call and he'll send you one to see if you like it, if you can't find one at your local spey shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts