Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of an entry level spey rod. The two that I am considering are the St Croix 13' 7/8 wt, and the Cabelas 13' 8/9 wt, although I am leaning towards the St Croix. I primarily fish Lake Erie and Ontario tribs such as Elk, The Catt, and Oak Orchard. I intend to overhead cast, as well as roll cast, and will use both floating and sink tip lines. I liked the St Croix, but wondered if it's soft action would hinder my casting or ability to land large fish.

I need to stay under $300, so if anyone has experience with these rods, or any others in that price range I would appreciate your opinions. Thanx in advance!

Tight Lines!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
You might also consider the CND 13' 8/9 Expert Series Spey. It's one of the easiest spey casting rods I've felt, putting all bias aside, and a super value at $295. It's neither whimpy nor stiff, 'spey' all the way and overhand casts smoothly with the right line.

It casts floating and sinktip lines equally well, for instance the 7/8 midspey and 7/8/9 Windcutter from Rio work very well.

If you're able to attend the Spey gathering in Brantford, Ontario this coming weekend you'll be able to try all kinds of rods and get instruction from some of the best casters in the world. www.easternclave.ca

Oh yeah fishin' bums like me will be there too :p

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the world of spey fishing.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
The St. Croix 7/8 13' is a pretty sweet little rod. I'm a big fan of the Loops in general, and I got to try a CND Expert a few weeks ago and I was very very impressed.

I guess you'll have to flip a coin. Can you find a 3 sided coin?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I personaly would go with the CND Expert Juro recommended because it is an 8/9 rod, unlike the St. Croix being a 7/8. I've purchased the St Croix 13' 7/8 rod for each of my sons (ages 12 and 16) for summer steelhead here in Washington State; however, I think it is too light a rod for winter fishing. This is why I recommend you taking a look at the CND Expert 13' 8/9, it is a very sweet, progressive rod.

The CND 8/9 is for a heavier line and as such it handles bigger flies and heavier fish better than the St Coix 13' rod. Other possibilities are the Redington RedFly 13' 8/9 ($250.00) or the Loop Yellow Series.

The best thing for you to do is find some folks who have spey rods and get to cast them to see what you like.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another possible option are some new..

equipment that Aaron Reimer (speybum) has in his shop in Carnation, WA. Also a board $; a good thing ... and he's a very good guy.

Also contact MJC at his shop in Peck, Idaho for thoughts.

As other's have mentioned above, a 7wt rod is a delight, but not sure this is what I'd pick for my first rod (I've got 14 of the things now.)

The 'one up' lining gives you more 'year-round'options; especially if you introduce the world large fly's into the equation.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Counted right

Fred,
Only 14? Are you sure you counted right? I thought it was a whole car full, maybe 14 is just in your tying closet.

Seriously, you are a great resource to the board. I just bumped into a couple of fishermen on the Deschutes from CA who had great things to say about your latest program on the Rogue. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Sir.

The Rogue Flyfisher group held their (to my knowledge anyway) first spey casting clinic this past Friday on the Rogue. JD Jones, Bob Meiser and I were asked to be the 'instructors.' (For me .. the blind leading the blind? after being under the toutalage (sp?) of Way and Steve.

Actually a really great time matching folks up with rods, lines, and skill levels. Aaron, bless his heart, and Jack Cook will be down the 25'th of October to show these fellows how REALLY GOOD spey casters handle a rod.

But, I must be a bit 'infamous' on the upper Rogue. Some older gentleman (no clue who he was) hollered across the river this AM he was using a spey rod) and asked if I was "Fred Evans."

......... Made me feel pretty good. The 4 I hooked (not counting the King that darned near spooled me on a 7wt sage) didn't hurt the morning.
fae

Should have added: based on what I've seen of Way and Steve, I'm a 'kitten' when it comes to how many rods.
:>)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts