Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
No nicknames, but I notice that the old way of manufacturers giving their rods names - often taken from famous rivers or fishermen - instead of numbers seems to be falling from favour.

I caught my first salmon on an 11' Hardy split cane 'Wye'; a lovely light double handed rod for an 11 yr old and one which I remembered fondly when reading the thread about 'trout speys' (though it caught fish to over 14lbs for me). These days it would probably be called a Hardy 1107-3 or some such designation. I suppose the figures are more informative but they just don't have the romance of a name.

Names also arguably have a practical application, too. Manufacturers seem now to re-use the same figures to designate their rods; thus for example there are 3 (is it?) different Sage blanks that go under the same 'name' of 7136-4. If they all had different river names as well as figures it would help tell them apart. How much nicer it would be to talk of the Sage 7136-4 'Helmsdale' and 'Brora' for example instead of the 'Old Brown' and 'Greenie' blanks!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reason why

is i also own an english car,,,wich i'm trying to get on the road again;seems the owner's of these always have a pet name for them,,,quite unlike the new vehicles they drive,all you hear about is what the cost of this or that was,mostly the feelings of entrapment are seething out!,i name all my rods eventually,takes awhile,but some name always sticks:D

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
British cars

Hammer--- I have a 1956 MGA cream/red, the 1600cc. Been in my family for a while. Still runs as poorly as the day we got it, god bless the miserable, cranky beast.

As for long rod names, I have four spey rods and my family always asks me:

"Are you going to fish with the BIG one?" Meaning the 18' Daiwa. I invariably just answer yes because it keeps them happy and thinking I'm a little cookoo.

I actually named my first rod and had this inscribe on it:

ICTUS PISCATOR SAPIT
roughly translated from Latin
"The angler feels the pain"

Pretensions abound, but it looks cool.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts