Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
who knows how I can get rid of nasty scratches, dents and tube fly wounds on my rod finish"
Is there a way to buff it back to "civilized", instead of having it look like a survivor from the Crusades....:eek:
Any tip is GREATLY accepted.
Thanks,
Emilio.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
first of all if you are using metal tubes on your tube flies you need to NOT hit your rod with them , same goes hot lead eyed flies and such. hook checks with such flies can damage more than just the rods finish..

Nearly all scratches will go right through the rods finish, thus there is no color left to polish, however if there is you can use an automotive polish or wax..NOT BUFFING COMPOUND, that will take the finish off. the product i would recommend is called swirl remover, but again if you can see grey in the scratch that's the graphite and you aren't going to improve the looks of the rod..
another option would be to finda paint that matches your blank, fill in the scratch then clear coat it with something clear like nail polish then buff it out with the swirl remover

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roballen said:
first of all if you are using metal tubes on your tube flies you need to NOT hit your rod with them ,
it with something clear like nail polish then buff it out with the swirl remover
...thanks, but I know better than hitting my rod with tubes..:tsk_tsk: it just happened..
anyway, the scratches are in the clear finish and there is no graphite showing.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try tomorrow first thing after work.
I'll let you know.
About the tubes, I'll just keep the leader shorter and the "bobmbs" well out of the wayu of my rod:eek:
Emilio

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great Tip

Rob, That was a great tip!

What can I do if I want to take the joint wax off the rod at the end of a season? You know just clean everything for the next outting...

Tom

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
that's a good question Tom, and to be honest i don't know
if you want to take the wax off via some solvent be extremely careful in selecting a product, lots of solvents can dull or even take off the rod finish just depends on the manufacturer. Play it safe and don't use anything stronger than denatured alchohol.. and if come color shows up on the rag used to apply it stop imediatly.. I'll be honest I don't take good care of my rods, i fish them and put them back in the case, so i have never had to deal with wax removal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually use a WOODEN coffee stirrer (the ones you find at Starb#@$) and scrape the wax off with it.
Hope it helps.
Emilio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts