Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Interesting thing happens to me every once in a while. I come across a rod and line combination that just work fantastic together.

One example of this is a Diamondback 13’ 8/9 I built a few years back. Got a great deal on the blank but never really liked it very much. I had several different lines on it. Rio windcutters in several different Wt’s, SA, Orvis and so on. I was getting ready to sell the rod when a friend gave me an Airflo Delta Spey 8/9 in trade for some rod repairs I did for him. 8/9 rod, 8/9 line? I figured I would give it a try. This line made all the difference on that rod. All of a sudden I was making great casts with the thing. It went from club to cannon.

This has happened to me with a few other rods since, and it is not really a surprise. But I was just wondering how many of you have run across such combos and what those combos where.

Charlie

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
There's something to be said about the airflo delta spey taper. The delta and delta long are head and shoulders above all others the easiest casting lines for me personally. The tapers load a rod and turn over beautifully, and about the only other line I go to on a regular basis is the XLT when I want to throw a long belly. I probably own 2 dozen or more spey lines and always have a delta taper with me when I'm fishing. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Moose

I will agree on that!!! Taper design is awsome on the deltas, won't leave home without one. Now if they would just improve on the extremely thick running line I would be very happy. Cut off thier running line and splice in some polyshoot and its a match made in heaven. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Recently picked up George Anderson's 13'3" 7 wt. (probably closer to a light 8). Jeff Putnam recommended the AIRFLO 7/8. This line flies on the rod. I cut it at 15' and added loops and hit the N Umpqua this last weekend. It was throwing a type 6 tip with flies as big as 1/0 and 2/0 with ease out to 90 feet. Very sweet combination. It also does nicely with the 7/8 xlt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts