Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you were looking to throw tips on the Sandy during the winter, and your beloved Scott 1509, a fine friend in all weathers, seemed just a bit too much stick to carry around all day. Besides, though you've been casting long belly lines, you want to explore skagit style casting. Which of Bob Meiser's rods would you pick, in combination with what lines? (In a private email Bob has given me a range of choices, and I thank him very much for that; but I did want to get some ideas the rest of you.) Thanks.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Can't go wrong with Big K1's answer. I just tried the Loop Adapted heads on the 14'er that I will hopefully work out on Thursday and Friday! A great matchup, however, a midspey 9/10 is glorious!

Vinnie

·
Registered
630 Posts
Was going to post that same set up but Kevin beat me to it :) That rod is all of Mikes favorite rods rolled into one but it aint just for heads its way more versatile then that. It is the best I have cast for the application you have described though. :smokin:

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I have Meiser's 13'6" 8/9 with two tips that is a joy to cast with Loop Adapted 9/10 with tips and SA Short Head 7/8 for floating line. The MKS is the next step in development but you can't miss with either. I have a 13' MKS 6/7 on order.

Rich

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I think Bob uses a couple of blanks for his rods from Gary Anderson - At just over 13 feet the 7 wt is a real joy to cast all day and it throws type 6 and 8 heads and big flies with authority!! They are 3 piece rods and blanks are made by a very well known PNW rod builder. This rod just sings with the AIRFLO Delta 7/8! There is a standard and custom blank - one is colored one is undanded. I use this on the N Umpqua throwing up to 1/0 flies with no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts