Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for an all around rod for the North Umpqua river. I'm thinking about maybe a Meiser 7/8 conversion rod, this way I'll have a switch rod and a spey rod in one. I would also like to know if this size of rod will handle Salmon. I already own a Hardy Marquis Salmon One fly reel, is this reel sufficient for this size of rod, and for this river. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Yes on all counts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an all around rod for the North Umpqua river. I'm thinking about maybe a Meiser 7/8 conversion rod, this way I'll have a switch rod and a spey rod in one. I would also like to know if this size of rod will handle Salmon. I already own a Hardy Marquis Salmon One fly reel, is this reel sufficient for this size of rod, and for this river. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steelhead in this river, as in the case with most Oregon Rivers, just aren't that big. River's that get King Salmon can get significantly larger, but that's to be expected.

Rod wise, its unusual for me to fish even a 7wt rod save for I need to 'flip tips.' There an 8wt brings something to the Party. :smokin: Save for a few runs a 'long rod' on the NU isn't needed and will just add to your frustration. Stick to 12.5, maybe a 13? Longer is NOT better imho.

But the NU, when it comes to fishing will 'separate (or should that be 'desperate?') the Men from the Boys.' Amazing river, nothing like it in all of Oregon.

Nothing.:eek:

fae

·
Registered
143 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Here are my biased rod choices

Cf Burkheimer 7127-4 , 8128-4 or 7134-4 or the 7133-3

Then invest in a second rod, a 9 at for winter steelhead and salmon fishing. 9135-4 would be a good choice. Maybe slightly more than you need for winter but perfect for Chinook.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"... or the 7133-3." Only rod/reel/line I've ever handed over to a youngster.

And 'regretted.' Well if she isn't fishing same I'll hunt her down and demand the rod back. Burkie builds a lot of rods, but if you 'want just one' this IS the stick.

End of story ... and need to suck up and buy another one. Have a new Hardy Salmon 2 and Carron dry line coming ... this will be 'the rod' for a match up. I can see, in my mind, some runs on the NU and mid section of the Rogue below Grants Pass.

Water moving by, what fly?, rigged rod next to you leaning against a log, Mr. Doggie-Dog's sharing your Subway sandwich (heavy on the meat). Yellow Labs are good conversationalists, as was Husky; just looked at you, waded in the river and stuck his 100#'s plus between your legs. Not ready? You could be face down in the river.

The Look and 'discuss' 'Shoes and Ships and Cabbages are Kings,' what's with redheaded wife 2.0?. Not to mention the 3/4's of the Queen that he/Husker's took up every night.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David1123

If I get another rod it will definitely be a Meiser. The 7/8 conversion rod is an 11' switch that converts to a 13' 9" spey. It will handle fish to 20+ pounds. As far as the reel is concerned, does anyone think a Hardy Marquis Salmon one is sufficient for this river, and for this size of a rod.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Marquis 1 is a fine reel for landing any size steelhead. I don't think it will balance the 13' 9" version of your rod. But the switch rod... definitely. You could get away with it on the longer rod, but it will feel tip heavy, and you might be working extra hard to cast....

I love my Marquis 1. Suits many rod sizes... 13' and shorter.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
for summer on the NU I don't think you need anything bigger than a 6 wt. though a 7 would be ok and don't think I would go higher than a 7 even for winter if just targeting steelhead though my 7 wt is throwing upper 500 to 600 grains.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
David1123

I already own a Meiser 11' 4/5 switch rod. Bob says its suitable for all game fish 1 to 12 pounds. Is this rod suitable for Steelhead on the North Umpqua, or is it a little too light.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I feel your 4/5 is too light for the NU, perfect for the smaller Rouge fish though. I have two 5/6's and both are as light as I will go for the NU. Most fish are under 10 pounds, but there are enough bigger fish around and there is so much heavy current that you put the fish at risk with too light of tackle. My favorite rod for that river in summer is a 6126 throwing about a 400 grain Scandi. Winter flows with bigger fish, bigger flies, and heavier tips really call for a 7 or often an 8 weight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I already own a Meiser 11' 4/5 switch rod. Bob says its suitable for all game fish 1 to 12 pounds. Is this rod suitable for Steelhead on the North Umpqua, or is it a little too light.
Assuming summer fishing....If you aren't afraid to break it fighting the fish you'll be fine. Otherwise, go with a heavier rod, you'll be fishing on mostly wild fish.

If you're talking about winter fishing I'd definitely recommend something heavier.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hey David,

I've only had the chance to fish the NU a few times, but after skating up a jack chinook, I decided I didn't feel my 6 was enough. I was happier switching to a 7 and found it preferable against the couple steelhead I've caught there. Probably a combination of the strength of the wild fish and the fairly heavy currents the fish have available to them.

Also, I tend to fight fish pretty hard (horsing them?), so I like the slight heavier rod on that river. In contrast, I fish my beloved Highlander 6 on most of the other rivers I fish.

Also, Bob doesn't have them listed on his site yet, but he has conversions available for many of his 11'7 line, giving you the short spey and a 14'1 spey. After having a few 10'6 rods, I've largely decided I like a little longer rod as a short spey/switch. Just food for thought, to give you more options and make the decision harder.

Call Bob. Last time I saw him was this past Sept on that river. He knows it well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David1123

It sounds to me like most people think an 11' switch rod would be the best choice for the North Umpqua. Rods ranging anywhere from a 6 to an 8 weight. Maybe a Meiser 6/7 or a 7/8 switch would be the best choice for an all-round rod for this river.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Choice may well be dictated by the time of year/snow run off and rain fall.

It sounds to me like most people think an 11' switch rod would be the best choice for the North Umpqua. Rods ranging anywhere from a 6 to an 8 weight. Maybe a Meiser 6/7 or a 7/8 switch would be the best choice for an all-round rod for this river.
With typical 'fall flows' the 6/7 would be all you need. Give it a good shot of rain or snow melt and that may require the 7/8. Ah heck! Just buy them both! What could go wrong?
;)

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
For the most part, todays rods will handle todays fish. If I could accurately deliver the proper flies on my 8ft 2wt for steelhead, I'd give it a go. The rod is quite capable of landing 5-7lb brown trout and has done so more than once, but that was casting size 18 nymphs and dries, something a 2wt is designed to do.

The rod is a fly delivery tool that helps land fish. Choose a rod that is suited to easily deliver your most common flies to your most common quarry. if you mainly fish winter fish in deep water, find a rod that will cast weighted flies and a heavy tip. If you think the winters are too cold and you would rather fish in the summer and fall, get something designed to deliver a dry line and lighter fly.

There are a lot of choices to get picky with, but essentially they are all designed to deliver a fly to a fish. if you have a line and reel on your rod, I'd not worry about landing the fish. A fish isn't gonna break your rod, just like a bobcat is not going to eat your child. if your rod breaks before your line, you did something very wrong.

For me the right choice is a 13-14ft 7wt for winter, and a 12'6 to 13'6 5 or 6 wt for summer fishing. My lighter reel has a scandi line and my 7wt reel has a Skagit w tip. I'm sorted all year round. Not complicated.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
In my experience, switch rods have a longer learning curve for the fisherperson. if you are an experienced and confident spey caster, a switch could very well be a nice tool for you. If you do not already have a 6 or 7 wt spey, I would strongly encourage you to skip the switch and get a proper spey rod. Every person I have fished with who started on a switch rod are now fishing most often with a proper spey rod. they are easier to cast and mend in most situations.

but do what you are going to do, because something is already in your head, and thats what will make you happy. At the end of the day all fishing is supposed to be is something that makes us happy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
David1123

I'm beginning to think a Meiser 12668C or the 1267S would be just about perfect for this river. I also have an old first generation Orvis Light Salmon and Saltwater single hand rod that's been sitting in my closet for about 35 years. It's a 9 1/2 ft. 8wt. Maybe that would work also, but I think the spey rod would be a better choice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts