Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rod does everyone like to use for large fall run salmon. I imagine this is heavy sink tip territory, so wondering if the popular steelhead and skagit rods hold up or is there a different animal out there for the big boys.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Moose...

I don't know why a CND Atlantis would not work great for this fishing. Also Bob Meiser has a great rod for BIG salmon.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Moose, later this summer and fall, I will be trying Meise's Salt Water S2H134910 4 pc. 13' ~ 9/10 wt with a Rio Striper, 350 grain line.

I can spey cast and overhand cast this rod and line combo. With a test rod this past winter, I was able cast out and have the fly bouncing off the bottom quicker than with Spey Line and sinking tips in fast moving rivers.

The rod will replace my Sage 10151. Bob's rod being two feet shorter, will help me not the Salmon, if I hook one. I was able to turn some fairly hot winter stripers, quickly with the rod and bring them into shore for the release. Also, a shorter rod is easier /for me to cast

I just received Ken Hanley's Saltwater Salmon, On the Fly, volume 1, DVD. One of his favorite lines is the Rio Striper 350 with his single handed rods.

I haven't decided what Spey line if any to use. The rod is a rocket launcher with the Carron Intermediate. However, the Carron line is so expensive, and I have a SA intermediate striper line that works very well with it. The rod performs well with the Rio 10 weight Versi tip, not as well as with the Rio and SA Striper line re distance and getting deep. In Sacramento at Simon's class, it cast the GS 9/10 fairly well for me and Simon did great with it. However, that is a lot of work to get a 15' sinking tippet out there casting the GS. I will try my GS 7/8 with tips to see if it is a little easier on an old man.

My 64$ question is what reel to use, my Loop 4 or the big Brakewater. If I'm closer to the ocean with hotter fish, I will probably go with the Brakewater. Up stream when salmon are not as hot, I will go with the Loop as it is less tiring after a hundred or more casts.

Moose, keep your ears open, and we can try to catch the salmon as they start coming up the Feather in the next month or so. We have a ton of salmon the past few years coming up the Feather, Lower Sac and the American River. I intend to be out this year with the above rod. Waiting for the few steelhead that come into our rivers is a poor way to use these rods.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gramps

There are already a couple of salmon showing in the American and I know the Feather river fish always start to show in good #s in July. I wonder if the atlantis actually performs well with a spey line. I recall Juro mentioning that this was not designed as a spey rod, but have to think that it would probably perform with a Scandinavian type head in the underhand style. What flies are you succesful with for the Kings? I was thinking of trying some big prawn patterns.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"What flies are you successful with for the Kings? I was thinking of trying some big prawn patterns."

After getting my butt kicked with my one handed Sage 8 weight, 9'6" Rpl, I stayed away from Salmon. I have hooked quite a few accidentally with salmon eggs while trying for big trout or steelhead in California. In Oregon on the Rogue and the Chetco, accidental hookups happened with big purple or black flies, marabou and bunny flies with lead eyes. Two years ago this Sept, I was about 100 yards inside the mouth of the Chetco trying Meis's 9/10 Switch rod with a purple and black critter and a huge fresh salmon smacked it and starter back out to the ocean when it realized it was hooked. I was on rock strewn levy on foot with no boat. Fortunately I got my tippett to break.

A spey fisher on this site hooked something really big in one of the Canadian Rivers, and the fish went back down stream taking his rod, reel and line with him.

So like you, I need to find out what flies to use. A friend went on the Feather 3 years ago, and had great luck with a guide using the Boles Indicator and egg flies.

If I find out what flies to use, I will contact you, please let me know what you find out. Kiene's might be able to help you.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Moose -

I used to flyfish for kings quite a bit in my years in Seattle. I think the Atlantis 1111 is a great chinook and chum rod, in fresh or salt. Although it was not specifically designed to spey cast, it does spey cast as well as any 11ft fast-action rod will. I find it to work best for spey casting with shorter heads and casting up to 70-80, 90ft max. It's by no means a great spey casting tool like the other rods in the CND lineup but... you can cast it either way and it's a great tool for battlling big fish due to length and strong high-modulus graphite.

I will be using it for kings this fall myself :)

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I have been yearning to try the Atlantis in the salt here on the Key Peninsula. A wonderful spot for it would be at the Purdy spit.

I was there this morning and was, "Just a bit outside!" of where they were rolling. Some nice fish and very early this year too!!! Cutts are in, BTW.

Anyway, my lucky salmon stick is my lucky Loop LBL 9132-4 (which no one wanted to buy) and LOTS of backing... :Eyecrazy:

LoopHiTech

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Moose, below is CND's description on its new Atlantis 1111. Juro helped to develop this rod, and it should be great for Salmon in our area. Combine it with the Rio Striper Line with the intermediate head and running body and tips, and you could reach out and go deep for the Salmon in our rivers and estuaries. It is probably short enough to use on a boat in the Delta for stripers. With your height and size, it could be an awesome stick to cast and battle salmon and big stripers using the sideway technique.

Why don't you contact Juro by Private Message and discuss it with him. Heck maybe we could get him down to our area during Salmon season to show us how. With my Meise 8910 surf rod and the Atlantis, we could probably cover most waters during Salmon season.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Moose I forgot to include the Atlantis description:

The idea...
was born in the minds of a handful of saltwater anglers over the years. Those who have learned two-handed rods on salmon and steelhead rivers found themselves thinking about their application in saltwater where a single handed rod often feels like a knife at a gunfight.

Two-handed rods in coastal flyfishing is nothing new, but it's been a lonely pursuit. The Atlantis story begins in 1995 when Juro Mukai relocated from spey country near Seattle, WA to the heart of striper country primarily fishing and guiding on Cape Cod. Two-handed

Advantages:
Tames surf conditions
Cast big lines all day
Cast off either shoulder
Big lines carry big flies
Big flies = big fish
Distance casting w/ ease
More fighting power
Less fatigue over day

Earliest attempts at developing a specialized two handed flyrod for beach fishing provided many insights all of which have been incorporated into the Atlantis Surf-tamer. Thanks to the expertise of master rod designer Nobuo Nodera, this idea has become a reality.

To say it's been fun field testing this rod over the season could very well be the understatement of the year - it's been a total blast!

The Atlantis 1111 (11' 11/12wt standard line) retails for $495 US and is available now from our growing dealer network.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts