Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our friends has become addicted to spey fishing. She has borrowed the above rod, but unfortunately, my wife loves that rod too, so it will stay in the family. Our friend doesn't have a whole lot of disposable income, but wants to invest her tax return toward an outfit. We believe she can get closer to a full outfit buying used, however I have thus far been unsuccessful in the classifieds finding that rod. I've been tracking for her since November.
If someone knows of a rod that has very similar characteristics, I can expand my daily search in the classifieds section. She has tried several heavier, and one lighter rod of mine and just doesn't click with them. Our friend is concerned that if she's forced to buy new, she won't be able to get a full outfit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rod

Not a heck of a lot of experience with other rods other than TFO DC. But I have tossed the ECHO DH 6 and liked it a lot; price is good and there seems to be more available.

Sometimes you just have to buy new to get what you want and get out an fish. It hurts for a while but it all goes away when that first fish tries to yank the whole investment out of your hand and take it back to the shop.:chuckle:

Grant

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,506 Posts
While a different action, the 1206 T&T in the classifieds now would be a lovely light line option in that length. I own and love the 1206 and it is my go to small stream summer run rod. My son fishes the TFO Pro 12.5 6 wt and it likes the same lines as the T&T.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Echo TR6126/Beulah Classic

should be a similar action and may be more available.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If that is what she wants check here and ebay and be patient. They do come up for sale. I sold one last fall and another sold around the same time. Rods seem to come and go in waves for some reason. as sure as she buys something else two will show up for sale.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wife and I drove to Merlin to fish the Rogue for the weekend. Ended up at Bob Meiser's shop yesterday morning and walked out with a super hot deal on a sort of "used rod" for our friend.
Fascinating that Bob worked with Mike Kinney on the TFO rods as well as the Meiser MKS series.
We also got to visit with the very generous and knowledgeable Steve Godshall. Two great minds in one shop; who-da-thunk!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wife and I drove to Merlin to fish the Rogue for the weekend. Ended up at Bob Meiser's shop yesterday morning and walked out with a super hot deal on a sort of "used rod" for our friend.
Fascinating that Bob worked with Mike Kinney on the TFO rods as well as the Meiser MKS series.
We also got to visit with the very generous and knowledgeable Steve Godshall. Two great minds in one shop; who-da-thunk!

So what matched up with the DC 5/6 or did you find one?

This story needs a happy ending:chuckle:

Grant

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cicada:
This story definitely has a happy ending! We bought a Meiser 12'6" 5/6.

Now our friend wants to head to the "local" river (~3hrs away) for the weekend even though the forecast calls for snow. I have an inkling she wants to try out her new rod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts