Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with either mag mount or vacuum mount rod carriers? (for Spey rods) I am leaning towards a vacuum mount since one of them may have to mount on my (glass) moon roof. My main concern is that most of them deny being suitable for highway speeds.

Seems like this has come up before but a search came up negative.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
JD,

Both Dana and I have been using Vac Racs for 5+ years. They are great. We rip up and down the Trans Canada Hwy at warp speed and have had only one mishap. It was due to operator error, we failed to fully clean the frost off the roof of the truck and it came off at 60 MPH :whoa:! Even so disaster was avoided as the Rac on the hood held - even with two 16' rods - but it did cause the heart rate to jump - we are much more careful these days!

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
not exactly your request, but I use the ski holders in my Yakima rack up to 70 mph with no problems whatsoever.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vac racks

Kush,

Are your "vac racks" made by Rod mounts or someone else? If so, who?

><///('>
JD

J

·
0 Posts
I also use the vacuum mount Vac Racs and have had no problems. More impressively, they're used all over in Iceland. Each Rac would have several thousand dollars worth of rods and reels and the guides would tear along at over 100kph on the trails (they weren't even remotely roads) next to the river. We'd be bounced all over the vehicles inside, but we never had a Rac fail. Rio products were the first to my knowledge to carry these and that's how I got mine. Then they were coming with a UK label on them for awhile (I forget whether it was Scierra or one of the others) and I believe even Redington was messing with them for a period of time. Great product. I believe Orvis carried the magnetic mount version about the same time Rio had the vacuum version. Don't know where to go for them today.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have recently purchased a pair of the Rodmounts vacs and I'm very impressed.

I've used a pair of magnetic ones for probably a dozen years, with speeds to 70mph on all kinds of roads, bumps and all. Last year on a very bumpy road on the Gaspé on only doing 40, or so, they came off for the first time ever. There were 2 spey rods and 2 single handers on at the time. Fortunately, everything survived — except for one Hardy Salmon #3. There was one scratch on the reel seat of the 15' Scott. It was the mount on the hood that let loose first.

Several possible problems: slight curvature in the hood. thickness of sheet metal of this particular vehicle. do magnets lose their power over time? Another factor could very well be that the reels (particularly on the spey rods) were hanging over the front of the hood mount, thus much more likely to have momentum in bounces. I've since made sure that the reels are behind the front mount.

At any rate, I replaced the original 3 1/2" magnets with 4" magnets and have had no problem at all. And have since gotten the vac mounts. Although I haven't used them for 12 years, they seem to have a more powerful grip than the mags.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I second loco_alto's endorsement of the Yakima ski rack. I carry my rods in it when in BC and travel at high speeds with no problem.

I notice several comments about these rods holders coming loose. That won't happen with the Yakima ski rack. They might not be suitable for all vehicles though as it is best to separate the two racks by some distance.

pescaphile

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yacama Ski Racks

Present vehicle, '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse has a very short roof line. Yakama makes some stuff that would maybe kind of work on my car but very expensive by the time you are done and still very short distance between tie downs.

Problems with mag and vac mounts are:
1. They always want a flat surface to mount on. There are no flat surfaces on todays cars.
2. They always want a clean, very clean, surface to mount on. On a fish car? Give me a break.

><///('>
JD

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
JD, If it is a fish car then drill a couple of holes and bolt the thing on to the hood. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
JD,

Both my and Dana's Vac Racs are the British made ones that Rio imports - I highly recommend them.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rio Vac Racs

Search of Rio's website shows nothing on Vac Racs. Can you post or PM me a link?

><///('>
JD

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vac Racs

Further searches on the web turned up some Vac Racs on Orvis' website. Retail price $95 and they claim to be good at highway speeds. Interesting thing is I saw these same Vac Racs at a local store and the flyer accompanying them clearly stated that they were not O.K. for highway speeds.:whoa:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
JD

I know Michael & Young Flyshop in Surrey BC has them - I saw them the day before yesterday. www.myflyshop.com

ps - Duggan - I think they are still a Forum Sponsor! Maybe we should have a list that people could go to so they know whether or not to post a URL?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Tyler,

M&Y are fine. People can actually click onthe sponsors link at the top left of the Flytalk main page and all current sponsors are listed there.

st

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
how do you say vac racks in Canadian?

A search on M&Y website for vac racks. rod racks, tiurned up negative. I know we speak the same language but,,,:eyecrazy: are they possibly called something else north of the border?

MJC: No, Iam not about to drill holes in the hood or roof of my car.:rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the Redington Vac Racks? Are the tie downs bungie cords or rubber straps? Are they still available?

><///('>
JD

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rio Vac Racs

A call to Rio resulted in "We only make Flylines"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts