Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brockton
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting into rod building this winter, probably with a lightweight trout switch rod (2/3 weight or something. Want to start at a low price point for my first try, since I don't to buy top-end stuff then mess it up.

Recommendations for blanks/components to start off with?
Also, recommendations for mail order suppliers in Canada for the stuff?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Check out all the sponsors on the site. Failing that..

ARE (anglers roost enterprises) for cheap, but well performing, blanks
rod builder supplies, Andy Snedden out of Victoria for building supplies

·
Registered
187 Posts
RodBuilderSupplies out of Victoria is a great source for all of your rod building needs. Call Andy with your questions he will steer you in the right direction.
http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/

My first two rods were built off of ARE blanks (Anglers Roost). A 12' 2/3 and an 11' 3/4. Each blank was 29.95. These were great for practice building, but I learned quickly on the river bank that I was only able to use them as single handers. If I had it to do over again I would buy the ARE 12' 5/6 at 39.95 and maybe the 11'4/5 at 39.95.
http://theanglersroost.com/products/graphite-blanks/graphite-spey-blanks/

Be careful, the combination of Spey fishing and rod building seems to be quite addictive as I can't seem to stop....and have built 12 spey rods in the last twelve months with 2 RBMeiser blanks setting in the rack waiting for thread and glue.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I would suggest that you start with a Meiser RTW kit, ready to wrap. The cork work is already done. Then you will have a quality standard to aim for when you do more of your own work. I think the grip is where many new builders have the most difficulty. Meiser also sells builder kits with all of the correct components, and blanks for the complete do-it-yourselfer. Cheers, Buff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts