Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of years ago while travelling through Stowe Vermont with my family I had an opportunity to visit the Diamondback rod manufacturing facility. My son, who was then 10 years old, and I spent a very enjoyable hour observing the rod manufacturing process. Before leaving I picked up four sets of blanks for a ridiculously low $20.00 per set. These were seconds but turned out to be excellent rods when finished. Two of the blanks were for my son, who has enjoyed them since. He has turned out to be an excellent fisherman and we enjoy a good many days together each year fishing for Atlantic salmon on the Miramichi River system.

One of the set of blanks that I got for myself was a 3 piece, 15' rod for a 10/11 line. I have used this rod for many years in the fall of the year fishing the bigger water on the lower portions of the Main Southwest Miramichi, and on occasion on the Cains and Little Southwest Miramichi at the same time of the year. I like the rod because of its ability to put out a line in the windy conditions that we frequently encounter in the fall. The rod also makes it easier to fish in high water.

I do find the 15' rod somewhat heavy and I get tired at the end of a full day of casting. I have been giving some thought to going to a shorter, lighter rod and I would like to have your views as to what would be appropriate and available as a blank for my intended purpose. I would be most interested in finding a supplier in Canada.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
my 2 cents

I've had very good experiences with John Launstein out at Rockymountainrodbuilding in Calgary. In terms of spey blanks he carries Forecast and Burkeheimer. On the single hand front he carries the wonderful lines from Dan Craft.

To find him just add www and end with .com on the name I provided above. Hopefully I'm not infringing on any sponsors here as they of course should be considered first.

Cheers,
Preston

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. I was unaware of the existence of this Canadian supplier. The Burkeheimer rods look very interesting and are within my price range. I will follow up on this. Winter is about to set in and I am lining up some projects for storm days.

The Forecast blanks are really quite affordable and I will see if I can tempt my son in getting interesting in fishing with a spey rod.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Woodstock
I think the blank you want is Kerry's 13' 9" for 8. It's a 3 piece rod and for me (and many others . . . do a search on the site and you'll see) it's the one rod I'd NEVER want to give up. It fishes every type of line I've put on it.
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts