Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Lsi switch was my first two handed rod, and love how the rod casts, fast forward a few years later and after trying a handful of rods, it is still my favourite rod I've cast by far. Does anybody have experience with the Lsi Spey, and found any rod of similar action? Just thinking if I don't find an Lsi Spey, is there something I should substitute? Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
FWIW probably %85 of the action (it’s not too mystical or complicated) can be captured by the shape of the rod when flexed under static conditions - so hang a weight off the end and look to see how it bends. Figure this out and you will have most of the information you need to find a “similar” rod.

All other things things being equal (like the wt rating and length of a rod) a fast rod will tend to bend more at the tip and a slower (soulful) rod will tend to bend further down. It is quite useful when you know you really like a rod style to have some idea where it is on the spectrum from super slow to super fast as it will allow you to find other rods with a similar action - if you have a strong opinion on the issue.

Of course there are two problems with this - first is doing this test in a way that is consistent, and second translating this in a way that makes sense to others. The easiest thing to do would be to ask some people on here where they think that rod falls on that spectrum if you don’t know yet. Basically another way of stating what you already did in your post.

Going with rods from the same producer will sometimes work. If you have other similar rods you like less you could compare with them. You can even make the measurement quantitative as is done with the “common cents” system - add weight the rod held perpendicular until the tip drops 1/3 of the length of the rod and measure the angle at the tip. Rods with a similar angle will have a similar action - larger the angle faster the rod. But this does not help much without a table of such angles. Steve Godshall has such a database, but it would be very useful in the future for you to know where on the spectrum you are since you are expressing a strong like for a particular rods action.

Anyway I apologize as I have no
experience with that rod to put it in spectrum for you. Added context perhaps, but the easiest thing is to do what you did above - ask people who know that rod how it’s action would compare it with other rods. I suppose my main ( long winded) point is that If you can get a good picture where it is in the spectrum you should be able to apply that to any rod, not just the ones people can compare directly for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts