Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a Rob Meiser 13' 7/8 MKS. I'm looking to pair this with a Loop classic 79 but I'm thinking a 811 might be a match as well. The grain weight range on this rod pushes 700 plus grains. I know some guys like to go up 1 level on the rod weight for line capacity and just the feel of a heavier reel and I believe the center of balance moves closer the reel as weight increases. The 79 weighs 11.92 oz and 811 is 12.63. Specifically, I'm trying to see if I can get a used Loop - would like to know if I can entertain either as an option. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
I fish a 4" Saracione MkV on a 13' 7/8/9 Highlander Classic. The MkV specs out at 12oz, and seems to balance out the rod very well. I normally fish a 600gr Skagit short on the rod, or a 550gr Godshall BC Scandi. I'd say the Loop 79 would be pretty darn close...
YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
I like 11 oz (newer 4” perfect) empty on my 7/8 MKS (downlocking) the 13’6”. If I find 12oz empty about right on the next weight up 13689. Fits pretty well with what fatman said. So I guess by own tastes I would say 12-13 oz empty would be a smidge too much for me. But for such a nice reel it might be worth it! Neither one would be obviously TOO much I think.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mike,

I have the LOOP 79 and 811 reels. My set up with Meiser rods is to use the 79 on my 13' 6/7/8 Highlander Classic and it balances just fine. The 811 will go on my 14' 7/8/9 EVE, 15' 7/8/9 HC or 16' S2H16078-4X HC.

The choice of reel is related to two factors- balance and volume capacity. Email me ([email protected]) and I will send you some information that may help you select the reel for your MKS 13' 7/8. The files that I will be sending to you are too large to transmit via Spey Pages.

Doug

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I think you are right were you need to as far as weight goes. The two reels I mount on my MKS (13.6 7/8) weigh 11 and 12 ounces.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
It has been a month so probably the OP has figured this one out by now.

It is a truism is that for longer rods from let’s say a 7wt up, and more so the longer and heavier you go, volume is a usually trivial issue and you mostly have a harder and harder time finding many reels with enough weight to go with their volume. At the other end for light weight rods like trout speys you tend to have the opposite issue - getting enough volume to go with the best weight. This is just how everything scales. But it is true that if you are set on using the most dense styles reels of all, like a saracione or a loop classic, you may still have a little bit of an issue with volume. So for example I find a 4” saracione (that is an outer measurement) balances a 15’ 8wt to my tastes, but the volume might give me pause for a 9wt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For my 13’6” 7/8 MKX I agree with the previous posts and like 11 or 12 oz empty reel weight. Generally, my 4” Perfect or my Loop Classic 7/9 feels just about right.

Having said that, I also use a 4” Farlex. The Farlex, by conventional standards, is too heavy for the rod. However, it’s such a great reel I that enjoy using it anyway. A 3.75” Farlex would be better. This is how we end up with a pile of nice reels. ;)

·
Administrator
17,681 Posts
I use my XXX-Wide 3-3/4" Olson Gear & Pawl on my 13' 6/7/8 Highlander Classic.
The reel weighs 10.2oz empty, but it holds about 325 yards of backing on it, so loaded it's around 13oz.
The rod has a hard wood lower grip and reel seat ... it balances fantastic in my opinion.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts