Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished this book and found it very enjoyable. It's a region specific (Northern Michigan) focus, mainly on the Au Sable system and touching here and there on the Upper Manistee (my home waters) and their resident Trout. He covers a complete season by titled chapter detailing various methods popular to the region. From springs tiny flies to the hey days of latter May and June's dry fly glory.. moving into night time waking of BIG bugs and finishing with tiny flies of fall. Intermixed with a healthy dose of BIG streamers on full sinking lines.

There's a chapter on small streams of the area. "Tribs of tribs" I call them.. The sanctity within some of these places takes form in an undeniable aura.

He does a lengthy chapter titled "Chrome" detailing his start of implementing drift fishing with fly tackle and dead drifting bobbers (like the majority of us here did) and eventual interest in "spey" rods, which he pursued. He seems to have acquired a genuine fondness for the swing.. it's difficult to fake true passion.

The final chapter covers many of the diverse opportunities we have within the region. Surf casting for Pacific Salmon in September storms or wet wading June flats for Carp and many others in between.

It was an easy fun to read journey that well covers the majority of options we enjoy here. Written in mainly an essay format he has a quality knack for putting word to paper in color.. pleasant change from a field so saturated in clinical black and white. Some of his passages are what I consider quote worthy.

I wont deny that personally knowing and fishing with several of the characters he writes of added to the enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
Scott, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, Winston and Fenwick SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,023 Posts
I, too, was impressed by Josh's book. I've been fishing the Au Sable System for over 30 years and love it. I highly recommend the book to anyone who likes to fish and be reflective at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts