Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Last year, 2006, I and my friends made our annual trip for one week to Lord Cawdor's Estate on the River Findhorn in Scotland. (Thane of Cawdor in Shakespeare's Macbeth). The River Findhorn runs almost parallel to the River Spey.
Conditions last year on the Findhorn were difficult, low water and high temperatures, almost unbelievable for a country like Scotland and it's relative position in the Northern hemisphere. The effects of global warming are in your face and difficult to avoid in our part of the world.
To pass the time last year, my friends and I decided to make a trip to Spey Bay, where the Spey enters the North Sea.
We enjoyed watching locals making various Spey casts on this sacred stretch of water.
If you get the chance and you have a few dollars to spare you must make a once in a lifetime pilgrimage to the River Spey. There are many on this side of the pond who would make you very welcome.
Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was fortunate to fish the River Spey 2005 (Carron). Spectacular is all that I can say. The approach is much different than the Steelheading we do here in NA. All I can say is thanks again Malcolm!

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Listed..

on my "to do properly" list.

If there are pieces of hallowed ground (water) where one must visit before going through those pearly gates ;) , then one must be the Spey.

I had the opportunity to fish (and I use that word advisedly) for 3 days @ Rothes a number of years ago, way back when my overheads were OK, and trad. speycasts were oft attempted, rarely completed with any confidence. No fish (no pulls!), but what a river!

Now that I can put out a decent line most of the time, I can hear that riffling water calling me back.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts