Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you fish out of a kayak on rivers? If so what brand and length of kayak are u using? I’m thinking about doing it here in Oregon.
thanks
mike

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Jackson kayak coosa(the OG or the HD not the flex drive) can’t be beat for a river fishing boat, agile, great deck lay out, and super stable. In full transparency I have to disclose I was associated with Jackson kayak for many years, on their national fishing team. Have spent a little bit of time in this boat on the coastal rivers of Northern California, from skinny to mid sized, it can do it all. Cameron.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i'm with cameron . i have a coosa and a cuda . his and hers . i use them as conveyance mostly . i can ( do ) stand in one and cast , sh and spey . you need to have a reasonable sense of balance to that . i have them rigged with an anchor trolley, rod holders and a setup for a fish finder when lake fishing . we love ours .
they make a special model for fly fishing called the mayfly . don't get anything pedal drive for river fishing .
thanks ,jim

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. One question how are the in white water like class I-II rapids

·
Registered
647 Posts
cameron could likely give you a definitive answer . i've never had them in that type of water . i do know that their pro fishing staff has drew gregory onboard . he is a competitive white water kayaker and avid fisherman . i believe he has a hand in design .
thanks , jim

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
cameron could likely give you a definitive answer . i've never had them in that type of water . i do know that their pro fishing staff has drew gregory onboard . he is a competitive white water kayaker and avid fisherman . i believe he has a hand in design .
thanks , jim
I-II class is in its wheelhouse and in the hands of an experienced paddler III is completely doable. Drew designed this boat for moving water and has taken it through many river types, myself I’ve been mostly in II+ and tackled it with ease. Drew is no longer with Jackson kayak though, but his many videos of the coosa can be found on you tube. The mayfly that was mentioned above is more of a small lake/pond boat but was designed with the fly fisher in mind, not a whole lot of things to grab the fly line and a bit wider for more stable standing and casting of the long rod. when I was still active with jackson had a little bit of input in the testing stage, it a great boat but wouldn’t be my choice for a purely river boat. Cameron

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Camron, do I have any expedite the Jackson bite angler fishing kayak?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do any of you fish out of a kayak on rivers? If so what brand and length of kayak are u using? I’m thinking about doing it here in Oregon.
thanks
mike
I've got a 2013 Jackson Coosa and love it, SUPER stable when standing. As far as fast water, it'll handle getting through it, but you better have your gear strapped down. It sits pretty high up in the water, and at 11'2"-ish long, 32"-ish wide, and 70lb-ish (unloaded), it's going to rock n' roll, so you better have that seat lowered and paddle hard. I've only flipped mine once, and that was my fault. I tried to cross a super heavy shoot below some falls. I knew it was a bad idea but figured if it was too sketchy or I got into trouble, I could just stick my paddle in the water, pivot, and ride out the current to the flat water below and paddle back upstream. That didn't happen. As soon as I entered the shoot (perpendicular to the current - stupid, I know), my yak and I got launched straight up in the air like a rocket. The nose of my kayak was probably 15' or so in the air, and I got tossed. Luckily the boat didn't come down and crush me. The good news is, although I was dumb enough to try something so dangerous and stupid, that I knew would never work, I was smart enough to strap down all my gear and leash my rods first, and the boat was surprisingly east to flip back upright, even with my feet not able to touch bottom. No gear was lost or damaged. I'm pretty sure I would've rolled a WW kayak doing that, so you can't blame the boat. It's a badass boat though. I love it. Here's a pic of it below. If you are squeamish, you may want to look away, as this fish was caught on a spinning rod 😲 . FYI - those rods have all since been sold :cool: .

Coosa.JPG

·
Stephen
102 Posts
I've been fishing the Old Town Predator Pedal for 4 years now. Stable while standing, and on substantial flows, given its wide beam The pedal to prop rotation ratio creates a very controllable maneuverable yak in currents , as well as allowing for reversing or eddying, to position oneself for appropriate orientation while false casting with winds etc. The pedal mechanism is manufactured and designed by Minn Kota ,with beefy materials and fittings that provide for a durable long living system.(some pedal kayaks that are cheaper reduce some of the cost by decking the boat out with cheaper less durable fittings) The pedal feature facilitates hands free mobility, so your rod never has to leave your hand while moving to the next run or hole and trolling. This in my opinion sets it and other non pedals yaks. Great boat!!
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts