·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Salmon fishing legend and strong family man is lost Friggin' bad news

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Oh boy. Indeed another giant leaving us. This will leave a massive hole in the Atlantic salmon fishing world.

·
Blix
114 Posts
I spent a few days around Mike once. He was a great advocate for Atlantic salmon and a thoroughly engaging story-teller.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,138 Posts
Sad to hear. Talked to him one morning at the fly fishing show in Moncton, NB. He explained his version of fishing the hitch. Great guy to talk to.

Leo

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Yes, Mike was a legend. This was unexpected, and devastating.
Mike was introduced to me in my 18th year through our Fraternity. I was tasked with the procurement of t-shirts for an event and he ran a large sporting goods business here in Halifax. Later, when the salmon bug was firmly implanted in my brainstem, I was around him often with his close friends Jim, Eric, Greg and David. He became inseparable with these salmon chasing men; acquiring camps on the Margaree River, then the development of Camp Bonaventure with Glen LeGrand, and the purchase of the Salmon Lodge on Grand Cascapedia. They ran that business with great success before selling to a customer and beautiful gentleman from Ottawa. They took aim on Labrador acquiring camps on the Pinware River, Hawke River, and recently the Flowers River, along with a trout camp on Crooks Lake.
Mike took the reins of the NS Salmon Association with gusto, and moved the membership from a few hundred to a thousand in 2 years. He routinely held dinners at his home in support of the Miramichi Salmon Association. October 2020, he travelled to my camp on the banks of the West River to pay for and participate in casting instruction in support of the Antigonish Rivers Association. He didn't need lessons, but an appearance from the head of the association was important so he made the time; and took a 45 minute nap on my couch😁
I am going to miss him...he gave me a lot a really great advice.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
672 Posts
Yes, Mike was a legend. This was unexpected, and devastating.
Mike was introduced to me in my 18th year through our Fraternity. I was tasked with the procurement of t-shirts for an event and he ran a large sporting goods business here in Halifax. Later, when the salmon bug was firmly implanted in my brainstem, I was around him often with his close friends Jim, Eric, Greg and David. He became inseparable with these salmon chasing men; acquiring camps on the Margaree River, then the development of Camp Bonaventure with Glen LeGrand, and the purchase of the Salmon Lodge on Grand Cascapedia. They ran that business with great success before selling to a customer and beautiful gentleman from Ottawa. They took aim on Labrador acquiring camps on the Pinware River, Hawke River, and recently the Flowers River, along with a trout camp on Crooks Lake.
Mike took the reins of the NS Salmon Association with gusto, and moved the membership from a few hundred to a thousand in 2 years. He routinely held dinners at his home in support of the Miramichi Salmon Association. October 2020, he travelled to my camp on the banks of the West River to pay for and participate in casting instruction in support of the Antigonish Rivers Association. He didn't need lessons, but an appearance from the head of the association was important so he made the time; and took a 45 minute nap on my couch😁
I am going to miss him...he gave me a lot a really great advice.
Sad news indeed...
Here are a few photos of a legendary Restigouche salmon, estimated over 60 lbs., that he caught on a Bomber. Mike’s salmon fishing expertise, generosity, and compassion for conservation will be sorely missed by all who knew him.....RIP Mike.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
Book Publication Fish Shark Requiem shark
Hat Cap Wood Baseball cap Art
Wood Font Hat Art Handwriting
Wood Book Adaptation Fish Font

·
Inspector Skadgit
13'6" Loop Cross, Loop Classic 5/8, 7/9, 8/11, Echo TR 12'6", 13'6" Echo DH 12'9"
167 Posts
Oh my! So sorry to hear this news...I started out buying ski gear from Mike when he had Sports Experts in Fairview....it wasn't long after that I made the jump from spin to fly fishing. I went back to his Fairview store where I had seen a good selection of fly fishing gear...From there I was pointed to his new tackle shop on Agricola St. It wasn't very long after this when I learned he gave fly tying lessons there...He was my first fly tying teacher...he was definitely a mentor who will be missed... RIP Mike

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A true legend that I have wanted to meet since first reading about him in Wild Salmon and Steelhead journal sometime around 1998-2000. I recently was gifted the book on him but haven't read the whole thing yet. That big buck from the Restigouche is insane, it looks as big as the canoe!

RIP Mike, condolences to family and friends.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Such a great guy, and a gentleman. I not only remember him when I first fished Camp Bonaventure, but we talked and saw each other several times over the years. The story of Mike catching this fish is part of the video I produced for the American Museum of Fly Fishing. You can see it by searching for "A Passion for Atlantic Salmon",
Sad news indeed...
Here are a few photos of a legendary Restigouche salmon, estimated over 60 lbs., that he caught on a Bomber. Mike’s salmon fishing expertise, generosity, and compassion for conservation will be sorely missed by all who knew him.....RIP Mike.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
View attachment 386634 View attachment 386635 View attachment 386636 View attachment 386637

·
Registered
679 Posts
I met Mike a couple of times on the Margaree, and I recognized him initially as the fellow that had caught the gigantic salmon on the Restigouche. He told me a bit of the story at that time. He will be missed by the fraternity and many others. Quite a guy.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,138 Posts
Found this on line.

thelegendliveson dot ca
Leo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts