Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio's Relatively New Powerflex® Core Sinking Leaders:

I don't believe that I have read anything about these new leaders on this board or any other site.

Has anyone tried them? If so, what are your opinions?

If we don't have anymore frog drowning rains in N California and our rivers continue to go down to normal levels, these leaders might be a great way not to avoid using sinking tips.

If we can attach the leaders to our floating spey lines, life might be easier for some of us.

Below is the data on Rio's Relatively New Powerflex® Core Sinking Leaders:

7 ft (2.1 m) and 12 ft sinking leaders with a high tenacity nylon core coated with a super low modulus tungsten polymer mixture. Leaders have little memory or coiling, great turnover plus shock absorption for fish fighting. Powerflex core sinking leaders come in Trout (12 lb) or Salmon (24 lb) and feature an ultra smooth welded loop making it easy to connect to the fly line.

Just add RIO tippet material.

Sink rates: 1.5 ips (3.7 cm/s), 2.6 ips (6.6 cm/s) 3.9 ips (9.9 cm/s), 5.6 ips (14.2 cm/s), 7.0 ips (17.8 cm/s)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dave, these things are a staple for us for swinging flies. mostly use the 12 ft 5.6 or 7 ips with about 3 ft cut off the tip to get rid of the thin front taper. tie a loop in the core and put on some tippet. with a slightly weighted fly they fish great in a moderate flow to about 5 feet deep. less agressive than a piece of t-14 and the casts look a little prettier. i also use the clear 1.5 ips one as a standard leader especialy when the water is clear or not deep they turn over large/ heavy flies very well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for your input. After I posted my thread, the other thread and responses came up.

I will have to order some of these.

BLACK FRANCIS said:
Dave, these things are a staple for us for swinging flies. mostly use the 12 ft 5.6 or 7 ips with about 3 ft cut off the tip to get rid of the thin front taper. tie a loop in the core and put on some tippet. with a slightly weighted fly they fish great in a moderate flow to about 5 feet deep. less agressive than a piece of t-14 and the casts look a little prettier. i also use the clear 1.5 ips one as a standard leader especialy when the water is clear or not deep they turn over large/ heavy flies very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts