Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got a river in California low enough to try my new Rio Mid Spey 7/8 with tips and my Sage 7141. I spent yesterday afternoon in and on the Yuba at the Sycamore Ranch.

After putting on sun block and mosquito repellant. I tried the new combo, my 7146, the Loop 4 and the Mid Spey 7/8.

The floating line, the clear intermediate tip worked okay, and the compensator by its self worked great. Three times I cast the fly into the connecting links, once with the floating line and twice with the clear intermediate. If I tried to do that, I would never be able to do it. (Too tight of a loop ?)

I was able to get a little more distance with the floating tip and a 15 foot leader and fairly large floating fly than with the MS 6/7 floater. A mild upstream wind basically had no effect on the 7/8 floater, it would have caused problems with the 6/7 floater.

The clear intermediate tip worked okay, I seem to have problems with these tips in cold waters, they are not that flexible. I had more of those weird moments where one cast works great step up stream or down stream and the next cast fails with the clear intermediate tip.

The best kept secret is the compensator by itself with a 1 to 4 foot tippet. It loaded the rod better than the clear intermediate tip and went out and with a single mend was doing its job. A lurker on this site had told me about using the compensator as a tip and some leader as a tip by itself. He appears to be right.

It was weird in that I was the only fisher for over 4 hours. Also, I didn't see a single fish rise, porpoise on the water or horse around behind me while wading. There was no Skalwa Stone Hatch and a brief green caddis hatch. Normally during a nice January afternoon, there will be the Skalwa stone hatch and at least two types of Caddis hatching. During this hatch, you can get some incredible dry fly action or just below the surface action.
It didn't happen yesterday. So it was a fishless and a good learning day.

I intend to go back tomorrow and try the sinking tips alone and with the compensator.

The loop 4 balanced the 7141 until I had about 70 to 80 ' of line out, then the rod tipped forward. The only time that I stopped casting was to change the tips or flies. The combo didn't hurt my old and damaged right shoulder, and I didn't feel it when I got out of bed. I did feel it when I used the Orvis LABKV with this 7141 for a few hours I felt it then and the next morning. That reel is too light for the 7141.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Re: scuse my ignorance but.....

jimsand said:
whats the compensator?:eyecrazy:
I can tell your not married.

A "compensator" is two dozen Roses when you clue in that 'yesterday' was your wife's birthday.:D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jimsand

The compensator is Rio's new sinking section to use with their various sinking tips with their new lines.

I posted a chart a few weeks ago re the differences in depth that the compensator adds when used with the tips versus using the tips by themselves.

Go to the Rio section and to Spey lines and read about it.

I believe that Rio will be selling the compensator by itself for the older lines with sinking tips. It will be well worth the investment.

In the winter time when fishing a deep pool with a fast current, the normal 15' tips don't get down fast enough sometimes. The compensator will help there.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Sand re Rio's Sink Tip Compensator

This was copied from the new Rio Products section:

Sink Tip Compensator
The most useful addition to our interchangeable tip spey lines. This Compensator replaces Tip 2 of the interchangeable spey tip lines and helps keep the sink tips deep. The Compensator is an intermediate sink section that ensures the fly stays down. All new interchangeable tip WindCutter and MidSpey lines come with this tip as a standard. Available in #7 – #12. Bar coded for easy identification.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts