Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been casting a 10/11/12 windcutter with both tips off and 24' big boys for a little over a year, and where the color change is, the coating has worn off the stinking core...
This causes a bit of a hinge where my belly meets the running line.
Has anyone got any advice, I have emailed rio, but I think that has been entirely ineffective for more people than just me.
I could splice it together and eliminate this area of worn line, but I don't think that a year of fishing should effectively ruin a line...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Mail it back to Rio as a quality control problem. In a couple of weeks, you should have new replacement.

Be sure to put your name and address on the spool with your name and address on your note.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Or if you bought it at a shop they should be able to help you out with getting it taken care of. Otherwise contact RIO directly and mail it back. I have had nothing but exceptional service from them directly.

-sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Definitely send it back. I'd second the suggestion to go through a shop if at all possible. My guess is you'll have the best luck doing so. As a general rule, most of the experiences I've had dealing directly with manufacturers in the fly fishing industry have not been as smooth as those I've had when a retailer represented my interests.

I too have found e-mailing them an act of futility for some reason. In fact, many times I have literally never even received a response.

Unfortunately, had to send two of their single-hand lines back in the last year as they had issues related to the coating coming lose from the core prematurely. Both were eventually replaced--I believe in no small part do to the efforts of my local shop manger--but the last one came back with a letter alleging the line (which was less than two months old when returned) had been abused. I'm sure others have had different experiences, but that was my most recent experience with them.

Hope you get things straightened out.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My experience with RIO's customer service has been nothing short of excellent. If were you, I would not hesitate to send the line back to RIO. I am sure your problem wiill be dealt with promptly and to your satisfaction.

If you feel ill at ease sending the line back without first checking with RIO, you also should try calling their "800" number to speak with Zack in customer service. He is very pleasant and very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All! Troutrgrate, sorry to hear you wore through your spey line. I wish I could wear a fly line out, that would add some serious numbers to the days I get to fish. :hihi:
Please mail your line back to me. I'll evaluate your line, send a replacement upon receipt, and try to offer an explanation to the wear. Send it to...
RIO Products c/o Zack Dalton
5050 S. Yellowstone Hwy.
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Also, sorry no email response. We had some issues with the email submission form killing emails. We are fixing that!

Sincerely,

Zack

·
Registered
637 Posts
Rio service; the phone

I've only had top notch service from Rio, and never a problem with their line quality. I have called them on the phone and always received prompt information. A month or so I called with a tech. question, and asked the young lady who answered the phone to speak to someone about tech specs. I got Simon, who knowledgeably answered.

Carl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts