Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this game and I've jumped in with both feet and no life vest. I bought two Sage rods(don't you love eBay)-14 ft. 9wt. traditional action, and 12 1/2 ft. 6 wt. european action. I have Rio wincutters w/tips for both.
The first question is: would anyone suggest buying the upgrades that extend the center section from 15 to 30 ft.?
Second question: I bought a used 6/7/8 for the 6 wt. and I understand Rio now makes a 6 wt. Do you think it would be worth the investment in terms of better casting?
Thanks for the help! Just like single handed rods, it's an unknown
strange new world at first.
Kim:eyecrazy:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I would not recommend you getting the RIO Windcutter Upgrade for either line. Each of these rods will be badly overloaded with the Upgrade added to the line. And I would use the 6/7/8 Windcutter on the 8126 and not get the lighter line since you are a beginning spey caster.

After you have been spey casting for about 2 years, you can add the upgrade; however, you need to go down one size in upgrade from the line designation. Many of us learned this the hard way.

A better option for you, after you learn how to spey cast with the Windcutters and get 2 years or so of experience with the rods, would be for you to get the RIO MidSpey or other mid-belly line for your rods. The 14 ft would use the 8/9 MidSpey and the 12'6' would use the 6/7 MidSpey. But I do not recommend you change lines until a couple of years have gone by since you already got lines that work with these rods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts