Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone worked with the Windcutter upgrades enough to know if they are the "poor man's" Midspey substitute when you've invested in the WC with tips? I know the grains are heavier but the taper seems to be designed with that in mind. I had to hold back about 5-9 feet to properly load the new CND Custom 1308 which performed superbly with the WC 7/8/9 before adding the Upgrade. I didn't give it too much of a chance the one day I tried it in the teeth of a strong upriver wind, but thought there might be other Scotchmen on the site who have tried to simplify the choices with this combo. Using grains alone one would think to go a size lighter. Remarkably little buzz about this fairly recent addition (fka Accelerator Upgrade) and Rio hasn't struck out often.

Thanks for the input.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
WindCutter Upgrade

I tried the upgrade with the WindCutter 7/8/9 on my CND Custom 1308 and felt it over loaded the rod. I much prefer the straight WindCutter at that weight.

I am looking forward to trying the compensator with sink tips this winter.

Rich

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I fished the upgrade on my 16 ft T&T for 2 years, until the GrandSpey became available. I liked it best when I went down one size on the Upgrade. This combo cast very well and I never had a problem with it.

I first bought an Upgrade size the same as the Windcutter and it felt like it overloaded the rod for my tastes. It still cast well enough, it just slowed the rod too much for me. I never had a problem with casting tips or making really long casts when needed either.

However, the MidSpey is a better choice to go for a line in the 65 to 70 foot belly length than adding the upgrade IMHO.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
if you search the archives you'll see lots of info on the RIO upgrades. I requested and received a freebie from RIO when they were developing the concept. The following describes my progression, which seems quite similar to Flytyer's

buy Windcutter

eventually decide that a longer line would be better

get upgrade for a good fishable length, but too many grains for the rod

revert to DT's, even splicing lines, to have a long-line.

Manufacturers get on it, and soon so many lines exist that there's no reason to get the upgrade unless you need to add more grains to an existing Windcutter.

I think the buzz about the upgrades is for people who want to tweak a line that they already have. In this sense its not an upgrade, but a tweak. I think that this will continue as long as RIO continues to market the WIndcutter as a beginners line, since many people soon want to learn the longer casting methods after figuring out the basic mechanics of a Windcutter (I know I did). Second time buyers would likely go straight to the newer midspey or other mid to long-belly lines.

Viva The Choices!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Windcutter Upgrade

I use a Windcutter multi tip 8/9/10 on a 9/10 St Croix, to give me a more versatile system I purchased the Windcutter upgrade and 300 and 500 fatboy sinking lines. I have found that this combination lets me cover most of the fishing conditions I encounter. I have tried the line with just the upgrade and floating tip and the upgrade and number one and two floaters and did not encounter any problems. This combination lets me customize my line to let me cover both short and long distances

1 - 5 of 5 Posts