Spey Pages banner

RIO Windcutter Spey-need some info, please

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  North Island 
#1 ·
Hello folks! I remember some years ago the "new thing" was to clean our fly lines and then apply a product called "Armor All" to the line to aid in both shooting the line and helping the line to resist the scum from the water. Well, I applied some to my SA #8 Steelhead Lines and it was favorable with no noticeable downside. Then, some time later it came out that the "Armor All" was/could be detrimental to the finish on some brands of fly lines. I have been using my RIO Spey Windcutter as I practice on the grass. I have tried twice to get help from RIO on this issue of applying "Armor All" to their Lines. I sent e mails through their customer service link on their W/S and they come back after several days as "not deliverable." I am frustrated with that. OK now, what input do you folks have as to the "Armor All" on my RIO Windcutter Spey Line to help it mainly resist the greenish cast it takes on after all the grass casting I've been doing? Maybe it would be best to just let it be?? I need some advice and I know you folks have taken the "Speying" very seriously. Thanks one and all for any advice you can supply me with. Best regards, Stiver

#2 ·
to solvent or not to solvent?

hello speyflyman. this is a confusing issue for sure with all the new style self lubricating lines out there. i believe SA does not advise using a solvent type cleaner such as armourall on their AST lines. (which i did when they first came out on a couple of mine)

for my RIO lines i follow their guidline of using a mild soap (non detergent) and water mixture for your cleaning agent. i strip the line through a saturated white hand towel a few times. it will be evident when it has came clean. a light dressing can then be applied if you like. SG

#3 ·
To clean the grit off modern lines, use a mild soap and water (as shotgunner said). This insures you will not damage the line coating, which Amor All and other car vinyl treatments can do. RIO, SA, and Cortland all recommend mild soap and water and all three advise using a pure silicone-type floatant (RIO's poo goo is one) to coat the line for a slicker finish.

#4 ·
what non-detergent?

Thanks for the info. Now, I went through all of my wife's cleaning supplies and laundry cabinet and all I could find coming close to your recommendations was Ivory Liquid Detergent for gentle laundry items. Everything is either solvent or detergent. What brand of product(s) do you recommend as I certainly do not want to damage the finish on my Windcutter Spey Line? Must add that I have used "Glide" on all my fly lines for several years to clean them; however, I think that putting Glide on now will set the stain and it may never come out?? Thanks for your help, again. Stiver

#5 ·
The only product that I have found that is pure soap is Ivory bar soap. I keep a bar in a plastic zip-lock bag in my kit. When I need to clean a line, I place the bar in a tub or sink with warm watter and dissolve as much as I think is necessary, and then wash the line. I also rinse the line, wipe it dry, and treat it my Rio lines with Poo Goo and my other lines (except those with AST coatings) with GLIDE. Works fine for me.

#7 ·
Well I am just lazy, I strip the line and rinse it in warm water and then soak the reel and line in a bowl, swapping out water a couple of times. My lines haven't failed me in six years. That might also be because I try several lines every so often. Anyway I am not the most responsible person on cleaning things. My wife won't drive my rig because of the smell of the saltwater that drips off my waders and soaks the carpet, or the smell of tennis shoes I use for wet wading, or the stale bag jerky, etc etc etc.

LoopHiTech

#8 ·
Several years ago I questioned Bruce Richards at SA on the Armor-All concept. He stated that many years ago the guys at SA first recommended the Armor-All then quickly retracted it due to problems with the plasticizers leaching out with the Armor-All chemistry.

The pre AST lines have a SA recommendation of Glide and Russ Peak dressings and of course the SA dressing which was introduced recently. He stated that other dressing would probably work but they did not have a chance to test them.

I have always used Ivory liquid soap and cold water rinse prior to applying dressing,,,,why seal in the dirt?

Regards,
Fred Krow

#9 ·
Hi All,

As a cleaner the soap and water works great. For lubricant and protectant I use a product called "Glide". I can't remember who makes it. I think it's Umpqua or Warsi. It usually comes with a cleaner/applicator. The stuff is great. It brings the line right back to new condition.

Cheers N I

#10 ·
Hi all

I am very sorry to hear of your experiences with our web site, speyflyman. I spoke to our computer expert here and he says that we get dozens of emails a day through this link and cannot think what can be wrong. We will look into it, though.

With regard to cleaning lines, the advice you have read here is sound. Warm water, mild deteregent and a soft cloth, then coat the line in a very thin coating of pure silicone. Glide is waxed base, so if you use it, you will seal the pores of the line and stop the natural lubricants from coming out. Nothing wrong in using it as it doesn't harm the line, but once you first apply it, mild detergent and warm water will no longer clean your line and you will need to stick to glide. Definitley don't use Armorall and don't use any cleaners that are propelled by aerosolls as the propellants in most aerosols deplasticize a fly line pretty fast.

Hope this helps

Simon

#11 ·
claning Rio lines

Per a conversation with Rio here is what they told me to use on my new Mid Spey.

Wash line with Ivory hand soap, not the dishwasing detergent. He said it is to harsh. Rinse well leaving no soap residue on the line.

Let line dry. Do not re spool the line until it is dry.

Coat the line with a very light coat of 100% silicone dry fly dressing or Poo Goo. Same thing I guess. I have Poo Goo coming from the Redshed.

On the Airflo lines Tim says to use a different product. But I guess the washing would be the same.

Skilly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.