Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sage 6126-3 and Rio Windcutter lines (floating and int. tips) for a 6/7/8. It was not until later that I noticed that Rio makes this line in a 5/6 as well. Will the 6/7/8 cast well on this rod? I have not loaded the line yet on a reel so I might be able to exchange it.

Any thoughts?

-Chris

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re Sage 6126 and WC lines

Chris T. said:
I just bought a Sage 6126-3 and Rio Windcutter lines (floating and int. tips) for a 6/7/8. It was not until later that I noticed that Rio makes this line in a 5/6 as well. Will the 6/7/8 cast well on this rod? I have not loaded the line yet on a reel so I might be able to exchange it.

Any thoughts?

-Chris
The Sage 6126 is my favorite late Spring to late fall rod. It works well with the WC 678. I have the W/C 5/6, and it is too light for me with the 6126. The 6126 with most of us is really a 7 to 8 weight rod. the W/C 5/6 will not load the 6126 for me.

My favorite line is the MS 7/8 with tips. If the wind is not ripping up stream or into my face.

Also, the WC upgrade with the WC 678 is an excellent combo, and it is more effective with high wind and swirling winds than the MS 7/8. I carry both the WC 678 with the upgrade and MS 7/8 with me. If the wind is moderate to light to zero, I use the MS 7/8. If it is windy, I use the WC678 with the upgrade.

Both lines with the 6126 lift the tips plus tip compensator with no problem in heavy and fast water.

The MS 7/8 with the Rio 15' Steelhead leaders and 2-3' of smaller tippet can lay a dry or emerger fly way out and very softly for big trout, half pounders or summer steelhead. A parachute double spey with a mid air mend gently drops a dry fly or emerger on the water 50 to 70' out. The fish will often hammer a fly dropped that way in their feeding lanes.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Chris T...

I think you will like the line you have now. If I were changing line weights for that rod over what you have now I would go heavier. If in doubt you will always be well advised to follow Simon's/Rio line recommendations when picking a line for your two hander. www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts