Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I recently got my hands on my first Rio Windcutter Spey w/tips. It´s an 8-9-10 model with "everything". To my big astonishment, it felt really heavy on Loop Blue 9-10 13´2´´. I then took off the Tip 2, and line felt Ok as far as weight is concerned, but too short a head for my purpose.
Is this really a 8-9-10 line, or perhaps really a 9-10-11 in disguise?
No problem, though. I put it in my Sage 15´1´´ 10 weight, and just loved it. Then I got sudden desire to cast like real masters, and tried my new Loop Grey 15´10 weight. Line was a bit on the light side, but in occations I got timing right, and the line just FLEW! I´m not a great caster, but I did manage whole line out of the tip-ring, and I believe the line is something like 40 yards+...
But for actual fishing, I´m buying WC Spey 9-10-11 w/tips, since I think it helps with timing.
Another thing; what the heck is this "sink-tip compensator"? Yes, it´s attached instead of Tip 2, but what´s the use? Any comments?

FinnSpey
(Yes, I did catch some Atlantic Salmon in Norway this summer... :razz: )

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
With the sink tip compensator, replace the floating tip #2, then loop any other of your tips to it and you achieve deeper drifts beacuse of the extra 15' of sinking intermediate line. That is how I understand it...

LoopHiTech

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi FinnSpey

The WindCutter 8/9/10 is right for most #9 rods. There are some softer rods that load better with the 7/8/9, but in 95% of cases the 8/9/10 is about right. It does depend on what you are used to, though. If you have been using shorter scandinavian type heads, the extra weight and length of the WindCutter will seem heavier to start with. In fly line design - especially with spey casting - the longer the length of the head, the heavier the line needs to be to carry the energy to the front end, especially with heavy flies or big winds. For example, our 8/9 Scandinavian head weighs 500 grains at 38 ft and 580 grains at 44 ft. The WindCutter (head length 54 ft) 8/9/10 weighs 585 grains, the MidSpey 8/9 (head length 65 ft) weighs 640 grains and the new GrandSpey (head length 80 ft) weighs 800 grains.

These lengths and weights have proven very accurate and good with spey casting. If you are more into overhead or underhand casting then lighter and shorter heads will be better.

The sinktip compensator does what loophitech says, it lengthens the sinking portion so that you have more length and less lift in faster currents. To give you an idea, the type 6 tip fishes between 3-5 ft on its own, with a compensator, in the same current, it is more like 5-8 ft. his is because more line is underwater as it swings and is less affected by the current lifting the line to the surface.

I hope some of these explanations help.

Best wishes
Simon

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've tried the floating 8/9/10 WC with my loop blue 13'2" and it had the right weight. I tried it with the 9/10/11 too but that was way too heavy. 7/8/9 wasn't in hand so I cannot say for sure that it would have been too light but I think so.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Speybro said:
The sinktip compensator does what loophitech says, it lengthens the sinking portion so that you have more length and less lift in faster currents. To give you an idea, the type 6 tip fishes between 3-5 ft on its own, with a compensator, in the same current, it is more like 5-8 ft. his is because more line is underwater as it swings and is less affected by the current lifting the line to the surface.

Best wishes
Simon
MJC helped me to get the compensator right before I left for River Gaula (thanks a bunch again, Mike & Linda!) and it really makes a difference. It´s also easier to cast the heavier tips with this mid-section. Although we had water levels that were about four feet below normal summer levels (=poor fishing...) I tried out the compensator at some very deep pools, compared my fishing depth withtout the compensator and was rather astonished by the difference it makes, especially in faster water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank´s Simon & others!
I also now have fished a bit more with WindCutter.
9-10-11 is best choice for Loop Grey 15´. My 13´2´´Loop Blue gave me some nice casts with WC 7-8-9 - and is much better for my casting style than 8-9-10 on this rod. But I believe, all this is matter of opinion - how deep we want to flex the rod and how fast castingstroke we are used to.
Greyline wasn´t overloaded even with 11-12-13, but certainly a bit slower.
Next line I´m gonna buy is MidSpey 10-11 w. tips - and after reading this forum I certainly want to try Loop Quattro also...
I also got i right with compensator - for me it both gives a little deeper aweep AND helps in casting heaviest tips.
Thank´s again, I still got some weeks to practise before autumnfishing in Scotland...

FinnSpey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.