Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to whether anyone has thoughts and/or suggestions on which RIO *WindCutter* line would be best for the CND Expert 8/9 rod.

mmm

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Based on casting the whole head of a line, the CND Expert 8/9 casts well for me when loaded with grains in the mid to high 500's.

The 7/8/9 (525gr/54') Windcutter with tips shoots like a rocket on that rod, in fact it's a match made in heaven if you ask me. The choice of sinktip affects the feel of the cast as you know, so even if this is a touch light to get the max load out of the rod when you employ sinktips it comes into it's own. I had no problem with casting the 15ft type 8 on this outfit.

It also loves the 7/8 midspey (560gr/65'), perfect for those who prefer a little more head length.

In terms of grain matching, these two matches would also indicate that the Airflo Long Delta Spey 7/8 would load this rod well (580gr/63') or if it feels heavy to you step down to the 6/7 (550gr/61.5').

If you cast only part of the head, even the extended belly lines like the Grandspey and XLT cast well on this rod. For my casting style (I like things very easy) the 7/8/9 Windcutter is the answer to your question.

·
Registered
267 Posts
WC CND 8/9

I have never tried the "Expert" series CND rod but I have used the "Custom" 8/9 and I loved it. I prefer a rod to load well into the blank when I cast and for me on this rod I used the WC 8/9/10. Once you get used to casting this rod it is an absolute cannon! Made me look like a much better caster than I really am. I personally prefer the Mid Spey lines at this time but that is not to say that the WC is not a great line. If interested in the Mid spey I would put the 8/9 line on that rod. I am planning on ordering the custom 7/8 here shortly and I cant wait to get it. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
WOW, no sooner did my fly hit the water than I had two hits!:hehe:

NOT the answer that I wanted to hear but, I'm sure, the best answer. So I've got to buy another line and the baby will just have to go without shoes for a couple more months.:(

I guess I can take solice in my double-handed efforts to revive our country's failing economy by spending ALL my hard earned money.

mmm

P.S. As an afterthought, I should have said I was hoping the 8/9/10 WC would be ideal as I already have it spooled-up.

P.S.S. And I should also add that, if I were talking another brand of rod, this wouldn't be an issue. I would need many more months to save for their spey rod offerings, leaving line dicussions for next year. Thank you CND for bringing such matters back to Earth!

·
1,771 Posts
Thanks Chromefever, I had a gut feeling that the rod would work well with more grains. Per the 7/8, we put the 7/8 Grandspey and XLT lines on the Custom 7/8 at the Sandy Clave and although it was a bit much grainwise to put the entire head out there, working cast after cast with over 80 feet without having to strip line was a breeze. The rod seems to kick into another gear once fully loaded like that, a very good feel to it in fact where the rod does all the work and the caster just has to "hit" the motions on queue.

My favorite line on the Custom 7/8 is the 6/7 midspey, I'd bet you'd probably like the 7/8 midspey on it. They both work great.

·
1,771 Posts
MMM -

I would try the 8/9/10 on the expert - it's 585 grains over 54, should be no problem!

If (and only if) it feels heavy, you have three choices:

1) leave some of the back taper in the guides near the hand and shoot the line instead of starting with a slight overhang

2) use a lighter grain tip - like an 8wt or 7wt shooting head's front 12 feet, type III or IV

2) replace the mid-section with a less grainy line 15' in length that suits the function (bridge back belly to front section)

I wouldn't buy another WC line until you try it first. I'll give it a test drive as well to see what my casting stroke does with the extra grains.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Juro,

In case you haven't noticed the differing tone over that often displayed by the infamous and rebellious Watersprite, I think you're Super! And that is the last of my butt kissing...:chuckle:

Thanks.

Steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts