Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying the Windcutter/accelerator upgrade for my current windcutter multi tip system that I am using today. I will be using this on my new Sage 9140. I am curious to know how this upgrade works and what the pros and cons are to buying this upgrade. Does this affect my abitily to use ALL of the sink tips that come with this system? Good Luck and Tight Lines.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi CF

The Upgrade is designed to replace Tip 2 of the WindCutter line and lengthen the head to around 69'. It is a very good system and works extremely well with all the 15' tips. However, if using the longer Big Boy tips, I would still remove Tip 2 (the Upgrade, in this case) and attach the Big Boys directly to the body.

With the upgrade in, the line is slightly longer than the MidSpey and slightly shorter than the Accelerator. This means that you need a reasonably good spey cast to pick up the whole head and shoot the running line.

The only down side of this upgrade, that I have come across, is that the first loop is going to be 45 feet away from the end of the line, which means that there will be some casting situations when the loop will be in the guides and rattling through as you lengthen the line.

Finally, if you do get the upgrade, make sure you attach the fatter end to the body, and the thinner end to the front 15' tip. I have seen that mistake made a few times!

Tight lines
Simon Gawesworth

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have only been spey casting seriously for about 18months and early on added the upgrade and it made a positive difference in my total fishing experience. I felt my 9140 loaded much better, I felt I had better line control, and for some reason my accuracy seemed better.

I've fished single handers for 30+ years for trout and steelhead and the upgrade seemed to bring the two casting concepts together.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the upgrade adds some serious grains to the line. We had some tables posted here in the past that gave the figures. This large increase had always made me reluctant to use it for fear of damaging the rod. However I believe the new Rio lines are much heavier, and so pehaps my reluctance is unfounded. I am thinking of leaving the #2 tip section in, and adding the upgrade to see how it casts. I beleive that this would still be lighter than the new Rio lines, although the taper would not be as advanced.

The Rio WC 8/9/10 weighs 585 grains. Even if the upgrade added 200 grains, this would be far lighter than the new Grand Spey . The new GS 8/9 weighs 1100 grains.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Rio upgrade

I have used the upgrade with the 8/9/10 WindCutter on my St. Croix 14' and it works great. I can cast the #6 sink tip with ease if I do a roll cast to get the tip on top.

nevadacaster

I tried adding the upgrade to the #2 tip and could not get it to work. I tried adding the next weight down #2 to the end of the upgrade and that didn't work for me either. What I ended up with was splicing the #2 tip into the rear taper. I can cast with two feet of rear taper in the rod.

Rich

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm confused about where you spliced in the #2 tip. The only rear taper that comes to mind is where the belly goes down to the running line. Did you splice in there? Were you casting with both tips and the upgrade?

NC

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
nevada caster

I spliced the #2 tip between the body and the running line making a longer taper at the rear. I use the upgrade and tips in the normal position. I ended up with about an 83' head with a 6'6" rear taper instead of a 2' rear taper.

I first put loops in the rear taper to try different configurations. I played around with 7/8/9 and 8/9/10 upgrades, #2 tips and #1 tips to come up with what worked best for me.

I picked up a SA XLT and now use it for all my long body floating kine casting and use the WindCutter with the regular #2 tip for windy conditions and sink tips.

Hope this is a more clear exlplanation of what I did.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. I never considered cutting the belly off of the running line. How did you pick a place to cut it? Did you use a micrometer and match the diameter of the #2 tip? Or did you use my method of "this looks good"?

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Splicing in rear taper

I used a micrometer and matched the diameter of the #2 tip. When I made the splice it was a little off because I had to remove the loops I had put in inorder to try the different combinations.

Rich

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
The Upgrade lengthens the WindCutter to around 69' and brings the total weight (on the 8/9/10) to 750 grains - providing you take out Tip 2. The taper doesn't work too well if you leave Tip 2 in as well as attach the Upgrade.

Tight lines
Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts