Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a letter from Rio informing me about some new products and one product was a 500 ft spool of type 8 sink tip. There plan is to have it available at fly shops so you can go in and get any custom length you want. They say the line weighs 14 grains per ft. I havn't figured out how much it will cost per ft. but I would guess it won't be to bad. It is available now so most shops should be getting it soon. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great, will be on the look out for these my sink tip heads are getting raggedy if you know what I mean ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Got One

I picked one up recently but have not had a chance to fish it yet. Got it for a windcutter 9/10/11. I am hoping to use it this weekend.

:smokin:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Joe,

Let me know when you get it in as I would like a couple chunks.

Duggan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duggan,

Should hopefully have it by monday but i'll shoot you an email When we get it.

Cheesehead,

Probobly not. The type 3 and type 6 sink tips are tapered the type 8 isn't.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Better than LC13

The type 8 sinking line must be our updated LC13. No metal core so we can use it wherever sinking tips/lines are acceptable.

It should do better than LC13 which a number of us have used in the past. It should be a little lighter than DWE 500 which is something over 16 grains per foot.

Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 9wt type 8 tip. It is a typical 15' pre packaged unit from RIO. The package indicates that it is tapered, and my measurements indicate that it has a slight taper. The butt end being .030" and the tip is .025", not much taper but a bit. Measuring the diameter at several places along the distance indicates that it is level up to the last foot or so. Perhaps I stretched in the taper when I knotted on a mono loop...

The package indicates 8.6 gr/ft and 129 grains overall for the 9wt.

Anyway I should be able to loose many more flies with the extra depth achieved. I had been using a 17' 11wt type 4 made from a SA shooting taper for dredge work. Look out bottom here I come.javascript:smilie(':hehe:')
hehe

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
There has been alot of talk and reviews done on the T14 line from RIO over at Dan Blanton's web site.He has already done some pretty extensive comparisons between the T14 and LC13.For more info check out www.danblanton.com

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
I'm guessing the selling points of the T14 from what I suspect, now that it is in Bulk rolls, will be that it sinks slightly faster, it has the suppleness found in other Rio sink tips and not the memory/stiffness that LC13 has, and it'll be cheap(er) so you can make your own.

Any other thoughts? Looking forward to it. Any idea how much it may end up costing at the average flyshop per/foot, as well as compared to Leadcore?

Scott

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unfortunately Dan's website doesn't seem to have a search option yet.You will have to scan through the archived posts.Look for anything regarding T14.There should be numerous posts,but you may have to dig a bit.

So far most of the reviews seem to imply that T14 is a good substitute for LC13,should LC13 not be available,but that the two are very close in sink rates and castability.Dan has tested the 2 head to head in casting and in a pool to time the sink rates and they are so close to each other that most would never know the difference.The T14 is however more money than LC13.Most seem to still prefer LC13 considering the price difference.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Rio product sounds like a tungsten impregnated coating on a core, like normal sinking lines, as opposed to a braid wrap around the lead wire that constitutes LC13. Airflo has some new "Custom Cut Sink Tips" that are 16.6 gr./ft. and 23.3 gr./ft. in the 2 heaviest sizes. These products won't be in the cost category of LC13 or bulk spooled sinking line, but then that much tungsten has to come at a price.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
There seems to be some slight confusion on the type 8 tips on the above post, so I will try and clarify it.

RIO have 15' Type 8 tips that are tapered, with the RIO loop in the thick end. This is now standard in all our interchangeabl tip lines, but is also available seperately, pre packaged for those who don't need to buy another tip sysytem.

In addition to this is a very new product developed for the Bay area striper fishing called T14. It is a tungsten level shooting head material with a breaking strain of around 33lbs and that sinks slightly faster than LC13 as it is about 0.001" thinner. The line is sold bulk to dealers on 500 foot spools and you just purchase the length you need. The retail cost of this is around $11 for 30 feet. This is so new it isn't even in our 2003 catalog!

I hope this helps clear up the fog!!

All the best
Simon

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Simon -

Thanks! I'm certain this material will find applications in the northeastern striper scene as well as in winter steelheader's wallets. I will contact Brad about locations to get my hands on some for "field testing".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts