Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dom
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this line compare to lets say Rage or Ambush? I love the fact of it being integrated but im not sure how the thicker handling line affects spey casting and shooting. I would assume it would work nicely using polyleaders on smaller waters. I do enjoy skagit casting and looking for a line that will be more skinny water friendly than all out skagit line. Chucker seems promising light tip skandit at 25' and 420gr for my Scott 11'9" 6 weight. Thoughts? Experiances?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can't offer an opinion based on experience. I have the same questions as yours and nearly pulled the trigger on a Switch Chucker yesterday. S.A. are just introducing a new line called the "Adapt" which has a 22' head and is also an integrated line. I ordered a 280 grain and a 400 grain. Still thinking about the Switch Chucker though ...... Will follow this thread - hopefully someone with experience on this line will respond. Wondering about overhead casting too?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you aren't married to the fact that the Chucker is integrated, I'd look at the Scandi Body head. It's a pretty good cross breed between a true Skagit and a Scandi.

The Switch Chucker was largely designed for mixing between indicator fishing and swinging. The thicker running line is going to shorten your casts and catch a lot of current when you're swinging longer casts. If you have no reason to go for the indicator fishing benefits I think that the Scandi Body might be up your alley.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When finesse/delicate Spey casting is needed it is very difficult to beat Andersson Underhand line system (short line head and very long leader) and casting style (upright rod and short stroke).

Esa

·
Dom
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SA adapt sounds awesome for polyleader light skagit. I like the idea of textured pick up section. Fly lines these days can even talk...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have been using one for half a year or more on my switch rod..casts like a hot damn on my BW switch...throws big ugly flies and heavy tips which is what i wanted for that rod....I don't think it's a scandi as much as a skagit...

I have not fished a skagit in a long time...my shortest line being a 45' head...I've recently been playing around with lines for my 12'4 powerlite and the 45' is pretty amazing but doesn't do as well with heavier tips and big flies....I put a 9wt chucker on it today and was quite impressed...overall between 35-40' head depending on what length tip...and like a skagit seems to throw whatever weight tip and fly i'd ever want to use...

To be honest I was quite impressed by the line....I have the nextcast for most of what I want to do..but when it gets cold and I'm up against it..this line has really impressed me....I also like the color and while the integrated line is a bit thick.. that's another plus for cold weather as the mono slips and miracle braid freezes...

I like it...I kind of feel like i'm cheating almost...but if you want poly leaders and dinky flies the scandi or fall favorite etc is a better choice IMHO.

as a p.s. it's also really good as a beach line for two hand overhead and regular spey casting..

·
slipped away to grey...
718 Posts
SA adapt sounds awesome for polyleader light skagit. I like the idea of textured pick up section. Fly lines these days can even talk...
Works great with T-14 too...

Does best with tips about 8' long when you start hucking the real heavy tips...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts