Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm just starting to get into the world of 2 handed casting and purchased a tfo deer creek 11' 8wt switch rod for fishing steelhead off Lake Ontario. I am looking at the rio switch chucker as a good starter option that will allow me to swing flies and indicator nymph. My question is related to something I heard regarding matching the line to the rod. I was recently told that buying 8wt switch chucker line will overload the deer creek 8wt and that I am better off with 7wt rio switch chucker instead of the 8wt. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Either one would probably work, just depends on what you like, but I think the 8 wt chucker (520gr) would be fine, especially if you're just starting. I have the same rod and seem to like the 480-540 range. The 7wt chucker is 465.

That's all for spey casting though. If you're actually going to 'switch' and cast it overheard a lot, you might want to go with the 7wt. I'd stick to spey casting tho and go with the heavier grain weights - it's a pretty hefty rod for one handing much at all.

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Actually there's a 7wt chucker on sale here in the classifieds. You could try it out for a lot less than a new line. Worst case, you don't like it and you put it back on sale here and buy the 8wt.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I cast a Switch Chucker 7 on my 8wt switch that likes a 450 skagit. It is a light weight rated 8wt switch that really is a 7wt.

The Deer Creek 8wt switch likes a 510-520 skagit. So a Switch Chucker 8 would be a good fit, especially for a new spey caster to help feel the load.

GG

·
Registered
62 Posts
8 wt is fine for that rod. I use both 8 wt Switch Chucker and Rio 8/9 Switch on this rod. I like the straight Switch for nymphing without tips, (with and without an indicator). The Chucker will require a tip for nymphing and drifting. With the Chucker, I use a MOW light float tip for drifting small nymphs or single egg patterns with a single small shot. If deep and fast and adding a bit more weight, I'll switch up to a medium tip. Like I said though, I prefer the Switch for nymphing and drifting because it lands more quietly and, it provides much better feel for maintaining a dead drift and detecting pick ups. The 8 wt Chucker on that rod handles a T-11 MOW with a weighted streamer such as a size 2 bead-head Woolly Bugger. If I need to go deeper, further or heavier, I change over to a Skagit Switch head.

Also a big difference in the head lengths. With the Chucker and a tip, you will have 35 foot to the color change - you will need to shoot past that. The Switch will let you cast out to 55 feet without shooting. This is a real benefit if you keep fishing beyond early December into the sub-freezing weather as you can work most all the good water on the Ontario tribs with 55 feet past your rod tip without stripping. Icy eyes are much less of a worry with a longer belly. I find the DC 8 switch to cast very well with a long belly.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I frequently fish my 11' 8 weight Z on the Ontario Tribs, good call getting the 8wt instead of the 7wt rod. Ontario has some big steel and when the flows are heavy and the flies are big, a 7 just doesn't bring in the fish. Now the Z-axis is a bit different than the deer creek but not much, from my experience they seem to like the same lines. The switch chucker #7 at 460 grains is very light for the broud shoulders of that rod. Any skagit taper should be minimum 480 grains and max 540, 570 if ur a rockstar. The #8 @ 520 is right in the middle, I found it a tad heavy for my Z but my sweet spot for skagit is 510 grains on 11' 8wt, close enough.

Btw when you get into other lines. A 450 grain Scandi, 480 rage, 510 skagit & 7/8 rio Scandi body all work great for 11' 8wt for me at least. Good luck the #8 chucker will be a great combo. Either rio MOW tips or my favorite airflo FLO tips will compliment that chucker great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I were to nymph with the chucker I should use a light Rio floating MOW tip on the end? Should I buy one of the MOW tip kits they sell? And if so should I go with light, medium or heavy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts