Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I am from sweden and here we are mostly fishing whit shootingheads and shooting lines fore aour salmonfishing whit towhand rods. Modern SpeyCasting and the swedish "Underhand Cast" by Loop´s Göran Andersson.

But i want to test somthing new. A SpeyLine. Whitch RIO (im only intresst in Rio speyline) SpeyLine shud i get? I´m a god caster whit shootingheads butt i don´t have tested a Speyline before.

By the way the lines are fore a Sage GIV 15,1´ #10-11 towhander.

Thanks
/Jacob

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Some thoughts.

First, go to RIO's web site and look under technical info. Simon has almost every spey rod "rated" for RIO's lines. He gives a 'A' and a 'B' choice depending upon the casters 'style.'

You'll also find the info on Dana's Spey Pages:

http://www.speypages.com/simon.htm

fae

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
A good RIO line to start with is the MidSpey. It has a 65ft head which will encourage proper long line casting technique while still allowing you to shoot line for added distance. The Windcutter would be my second choice, but only because its 54ft head is closer to what you are used to with shooting heads and my reading between the lines of your post suggests to me that you are more interested in trying longer line techniques. The Windcutter is a very popular line over here on steelhead rivers and well suited to the Skagit casting style which is similar to underhand casting, but anglers who prefer to cast in more classic spey styles yet still retain shooting head capabilities lean towards the MidSpey. As for the GrandSpey (a favorite of mine), I think it might be a little too much line for someone new to longline techniques.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Loop Line

Jacob, As I recall, Eoin F's Loop line has a head of about 55', putting it in the Windcutter/Delta bracket. He claims that where it differs from these lines is that it has a longer, more gradual back taper from belly to running line. This means that it is not so important to have exactly the right length of line beyond the rod tip when casting, and allows a bit of flexibility in the amount of line that is aerialised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts